Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much should they eat?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 268 Total Views

Hey ladies.  How much did your preemie take in their bottles when you first got home?    My Kaiya now 36 weeks takes about an ounce and a half per feeding up from less than an ounce last week at this time.  She is over 10 ounces per day and she weighs almost 5 lbs.  She also nurses about two times a day.     Is there a website for preemies that is a good resource.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AmyParent
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I honestly don't remember. My dd came home @41 weeks and I think she was taking 2 oz every 3 hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZZsMom
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
My son came home at 36 weeks and he was taking 1.5oz every three hours. He seemed to be stuck at that amount for awhile but feeding was his issue from the start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM
That sounds about right. My son came home at 39 weeks and was on 2 ounces every three hours so I am sure it is fine. Just feed every three hours and when she starts to finish every bottle at that amount you increase by 10 MLs ( not ounces, there are 30 MLs to an ounce) ) are you using formula or breast milk?
hlzcmjzajz
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM
I honestly don't know how much my son was eating when he came home; he was ebf & nursed every 3 hrs around the clock. He came home at 35 weeks weighing 5 lbs 6 oz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM
I don't remember how much she ate. She came home at. 34 weeks I kinda remember giving her 1oz at a time, but that was almost 3 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navyjen
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Quoting zannahdeux:

That sounds about right. My son came home at 39 weeks and was on 2 ounces every three hours so I am sure it is fine. Just feed every three hours and when she starts to finish every bottle at that amount you increase by 10 MLs ( not ounces, there are 30 MLs to an ounce) ) are you using formula or breast milk?

SHe is getting fortified breastmilk.  I add 1/2 tsp neosure to every 45 ml's of breast milk.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
zannahdeux
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM
I think this sounds fine. When she starts to finish every bottle then you can add more. She will tell you. I just found that I had to wake mine so he ate every three hours. I was not comfortable with him going longer than that until he was closer to 7 pounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)