Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby girl came at 32 weeks and 1 day - very spunky lil girl

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 417 Total Views
1 mom liked this

After having a pretty decent pregnncy I started having complications with high blood pressure.  Had issues before pregnancy but seemed to be under control during the first two trimesters of my pregnancy.  The last couple of weeks it began to rise which raised caution to my doctor.  After some tests and unable to control my blood pressure the doctor decided to put me in the hospital for observation.  What I thought would be a night turned into a week and a life changing experience.  After being transferred to a bigger and more equipped hospital I was induced at 32 weeks.  I was scared but was reassured this was best for me and my baby.  After 15 hours of labor I gave birth to a 3 lb, 16 1/3 inch long baby girl.  She was 32 weeks and 1 day.  She came out screaming which made me feel better to hear her cry.  After her observation she went to NICU for monitoring.  I ended up staying in the hospital for a few days till my blood pressure was under control and I was able to care for myself.  Now my focus is to keep my blood pressure under control and to get healthy so I can care for my baby girl when she is able to come home.  I am now home trying to take care of myself and get ready for when my little girl gets to come home. It's hard to be away from her but I get to go see her regularly and call and check on her all the time.  She is doing very well for being a preemie and seems to be getting stronger and stronger each day.  I'm trying hard to pump milk to take to her on my visits but there are times I have good amounts and other times I don't get as much as I would like.  Is this normal?  What else can I do to assist in getting my baby home with us?  I'm a first time mother and would apprecaite any advice or just support through the journey to get her healthy and home.

by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Congratulations in your new baby!! I did kangaroo care with my preemie and pumped. I was nursing my oldest when dd1 was born so I had a good milk supply so I'm not sure about if getting more and less. My preemie was born at 30weeks. She weighed 3lbs 11oz and was 16.5 inches long. She came home after 33 days in the nicu
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Congrats on your baby and I hope she's doing good!  I just had my first baby at 28 weeks and my milk does the same thing sometimes.  Just make sure you are pumping often and they say kangaroo care stimulates your milk, so make sure you do that often too.  You should also pump while you are in the NICU with your baby and maybe that will help also.

wedding countdown

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Thank you.  It helps to know that I'm not alone and that things are positive.  Went to see her today and they said she is continuing to do great.  Her levels are increasing and they are going to take her off of one of her IV's tonight.  She is eating more and more each day and said she is amost back to her original birth weight.  I've been trying to pump every 3-4 hours and taking whatever I can to her.  It's great to just hear a little feedback to assist me in the positive thinking and helps reassure that this is best and she will be home before we know it.girl giving flower

mommieof4.2011
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

My twins came at 32 weeks, one came out crying and the other was on a ventilator for 8 hours, but the milk coming in and the amount can depend on how much and how long you pump at a time! I know with twins, I had to pump every 2 hours and I still couldnt produce enough to feed both, so I had to give my milk to the smaller twin that needed it the most. My smallest twin weighed 3 pounds 8 ounces and came home a month after birth, they had problems with sleep apnea.. I recommend the kangaroo holding, it helps the baby have a sense of safety and also helps the bonding while she is in the NICU.. Is she drinking from a bottle yet or do they have a feeding tube? I also recommend you not watch the monitors, I lived by watching the monitors to make sure my babies were breathing and doing fine, but when I brought them home it was the hardest thing to not have them! My twins are 6 months and healthy, but I still check them every so often at night to make sure their still breathing. Watch  your baby and learn her actions and how she reacts to certain things! It will help your sense of relaxation once you bring her home! Also, have they told you about the carseat test? Dont feel bad for calling all the time, I called every feeding to check on them and I was there 12+ hours daily for 3 weeks and then I brought twin B home, and then I saw twin A in the NICU every day for a few hours!! Good luck and if you need any advice, dont hesitate to ask!

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

She is being fed through an IV currently, but the intake is constantly being increased.  Went to see my doctor today and she told me to increase the pressure of the pump, she said that I have to try different speeds and pressures each time I pump.  I turned it up stronger and got more than I ever have to date.  Didn't realize that I may need a stronger pressure than I had when first starting.  I was just reading about the car seat.  I got an infant seat but was looking into what I need to do for when she comes home.  Not sure if I need to buy an extra support for her or if we have to get a different car seat.  Please let me know any advice so we can make sure we have the proper equipment to bring her home when it is time.  Kinda ironic I was just reading and researching about the car seat and you mentioned it.  I appreciate all the advice as I dont know what to is true or not on the internet.  Thanks.

kellymom127
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I have a 32 weeker too! Congrats! Keep up the good work on giving your baby pumped milk!

kellymom127
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

PS... most car seats start at 5lbs so you will have to see if your baby is near that weight when you notice that is discharge time is coming close. Also, they will do a car seat test to make sure she can breath properly and no other medical issues while being in the seat. They will (let me rephrase that to they should) let you know if you need a different one or not.

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thanks.  I got a good report from my doctor that my blood pressure seems to be under control.  Which makes me less stressed, in return will make it easier for me to pump with positive results.  I was so happy today, that I got two really good measurable pumps.  Been little emotional today as it was the first day since my baby was born I didn't get to see or hold her.  But we are going down first thing in the morning so I can see her.  Called the NICU twice today and they were great telling me I can call anytime and I know she is in great hands.

I told my husband we will have to see how much she weighs and go from there about the car seat.  They mentioned the earliest she could come home is when she weighs atleast 4 lbs and meets all her required levels.

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Got some great news today.  Addy is being moved to a stable room in the NICU unit.  She is off her IV, able to keep her self warm enough without her bili light and eating more through her tube.  I'm so excited cause this is a huge step toward her coming home.  She is 1 week old today and making positive strides to being able to come home.  I continue to pray that she continues to go in the right direction and that she will be home by then end of the month.  I know she has a lot of weight to gain, she is slightly under her 3 lb birth weight, but all is looking great.  baby gift

OBImomma
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Aww, sounds like she's doing good! With the carseat we rolled up receiving blankets and out them next to dd1. She was so little in the carseat (even though it was made for 5lbs and up) the nicu nurses showed us how to use the receiving blankets to wedge her in the carseat so she felt more swaddled in.

I love her name Addy! My baby (8/24/12) is Addie too :) her name is Adelyne Mollie, Addie for short.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)