Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anemia in Preemies - Dr mentioned doing some blood test on my 29 day old preemie

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 518 Total Views

I was told today that my daughter will be having some more blood tests to check her blood count for anemia.  They said that they count is a little lower than they would like and they want to re-test it.  Th Dr. said she may have to have a blood transfusion depending on how low the count is when they take the lab work.  Anyone have a preemie who had issues with anemia?  I'm scared about the blood transfusion. My husband told me not to worry about it that the Dr said it is normal.  Also, trying to not to worry cause the blood count may come back okay.  I'm having a hard time dealing with my preemie still being in NICU and it seems as if there is always something different everyday that they say she can't come home till it is better.  Just looking for some support.

Thanks.

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MMerrill
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Most preemies are anemic and all the things they do in the NICU don't help.  My son has been in the NICU a little over a month and he had a blood transfusion last week and it's not uncommon for them to even get more than one.  I did not like him getting a blood transfusion AT ALL but it really helps them in many different ways and that's what's most important!  Stay stong mama!!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Thank you.  The last 30 days have been so hard with her being in the NICU and the ups and downs we've had.  She is doing very well and they told me she probably will be home in a few weeks, I just didn't know if this anemia thing will delay us from being able to bring her home.  I know that the doctors and nurses will not do anything that will jeopardize my lil girl and that what they do and recommend is only to help her get stronger and get healthy enough to come home.  It's just hard on me.  I really appreciate the reassurance.

Thanks!!

Do you know if they do the transfusion from the parents if the blood type matches or do they just use a donor?  I think my husband got paperwork on this when I was still medicated after giving birth to her.

OBImomma
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM
My preemie was not anemic. She was a 30 weeker. So I'm no help.

I would think they would want to use a family members blood before the blood bank blood. You can always call and ask the nicu (they love answering all your questions, and you will not bother them. It took me a while to learn that)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Thanks.  I'm going to be there to see my daughter tomorrow and think I'll ask for more information.  It just sound scary but from what I've been reading it's normal and it may be just what we need to get her to eat more from her bottles so she can gain weight and come home.  I have had great nurses and doctors in the NICU that always do what they can to answer my questions and to help me feel comfortable about everything that is going on . 

MMerrill
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I know it's hard but they are taking good care of her, just keep your mind on the day when she gets to come home how wonderful it will be!!  

They use donor blood, and they use it all from the same donor in case they need more than one transfusion.  Parents CAN donate blood if they are the same blood type but the only problem is that usually when they need it, they don't have time to wait the couple weeks it takes for the parents to go to the red cross, give blood, get it screened and get it to the baby.  They should have had you read a blood transfusion paper and sign a consent form when she was first born, because of the fact that so many preemies are anemic.

It was really strange for me to see someone else's blood going into my little boy, I was freaked out and hated it, but it helped him to stop having so many brady's and desats and of course helped his anemia.

How many weeks was she born at?

Quoting mlhoffman76:

Thank you.  The last 30 days have been so hard with her being in the NICU and the ups and downs we've had.  She is doing very well and they told me she probably will be home in a few weeks, I just didn't know if this anemia thing will delay us from being able to bring her home.  I know that the doctors and nurses will not do anything that will jeopardize my lil girl and that what they do and recommend is only to help her get stronger and get healthy enough to come home.  It's just hard on me.  I really appreciate the reassurance.

Thanks!!

Do you know if they do the transfusion from the parents if the blood type matches or do they just use a donor?  I think my husband got paperwork on this when I was still medicated after giving birth to her.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

garrettleesmom
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

my son is a 32 1/2 weeker and he was slightly anemic, they put him on iron enriched formula and vitamins and that solved the issue.

CafeMom Tickers
mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I asked the doctor today n he said he will take blood work Monday n then decide what to do. But will discuss options w me n my husband. He told me it will all work out n they will do what is best for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting MMerrill:

I know it's hard but they are taking good care of her, just keep your mind on the day when she gets to come home how wonderful it will be!!  

They use donor blood, and they use it all from the same donor in case they need more than one transfusion.  Parents CAN donate blood if they are the same blood type but the only problem is that usually when they need it, they don't have time to wait the couple weeks it takes for the parents to go to the red cross, give blood, get it screened and get it to the baby.  They should have had you read a blood transfusion paper and sign a consent form when she was first born, because of the fact that so many preemies are anemic.

It was really strange for me to see someone else's blood going into my little boy, I was freaked out and hated it, but it helped him to stop having so many brady's and desats and of course helped his anemia.

How many weeks was she born at?

Quoting mlhoffman76:

Thanks!!

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

She was born at 32 weeks 1 day. She has come a long way and I've seen the improvements every day.  It just seems like another obstacle.  I know we are getting closer to brining her home so I keep telling myself that she will be healhy and strong when she comes home. 

MMerrill
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Aw my little man was born at 28 weeks 4 days, so they aren't too far apart.  It's like a roller coaster ride...they'll be doing good but then they have their typical preemie set backs sometimes but they always seem to overcome them.  Every day is one step closer :)

Quoting mlhoffman76:

She was born at 32 weeks 1 day. She has come a long way and I've seen the improvements every day.  It just seems like another obstacle.  I know we are getting closer to brining her home so I keep telling myself that she will be healhy and strong when she comes home. 

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)