Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anemia in Preemies - Dr mentioned doing some blood test on my 29 day old preemie

Posted by   + Show Post

I was told today that my daughter will be having some more blood tests to check her blood count for anemia.  They said that they count is a little lower than they would like and they want to re-test it.  Th Dr. said she may have to have a blood transfusion depending on how low the count is when they take the lab work.  Anyone have a preemie who had issues with anemia?  I'm scared about the blood transfusion. My husband told me not to worry about it that the Dr said it is normal.  Also, trying to not to worry cause the blood count may come back okay.  I'm having a hard time dealing with my preemie still being in NICU and it seems as if there is always something different everyday that they say she can't come home till it is better.  Just looking for some support.

Thanks.

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (11-14):
mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Yea. Is been crazy. Found out my hubby handled the sining of the papers n case she would need transfusion. I was still drugged up from delivery. She is doing very well for her age n thats what i have to remember. Thanks for listening.

Quoting MMerrill:

Aw my little man was born at 28 weeks 4 days, so they aren't too far apart.  It's like a roller coaster ride...they'll be doing good but then they have their typical preemie set backs sometimes but they always seem to overcome them.  Every day is one step closer :)

Quoting mlhoffman76:

She was born at 32 weeks 1 day. She has come a long way and I've seen the improvements every day.  It just seems like another obstacle.  I know we are getting closer to brining her home so I keep telling myself that she will be healhy and strong when she comes home. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

One of my twins was anemic for the first several months. She just had her blood checked at her 4 month appointment and is in the normal range now!

tresproudmommy
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

<<<HUGS>>> for you.  I know exactly how you are feeling, my DS was in the NICU for 70 days.  He is now a healthy active 4 yr old.  He suffered from anemia because of all the testing they were doing to him constantly and had to have 3 transfusions.  They all went very smooth...it's just like him being hooked up to an IV.  They won't feel a thing.  I just had DD in July and I ended up needing a transfusion and I was at ease because I saw what DS went through for his transfusion.  I knew that if he could do it then I had nothing to be worried about.  By DS having to have so many transfusions, it made me an avid blood donor.  I donated every 3 mths for 3 yrs, because I always wondered where would DS be without donors.  I can't donate now because of my transfusion, but once my year is up I will be donating again and on a regular basis.  Best wishes!!

mlhoffman76
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Thank you everyone for all the support through this trying time.  I'm trying so hard to be strong through this as I know things could be worse, but it's extremely hard.  The hardest thing is being an hour away and not being close enough to spend more time with her.  We have made it a month and I am very proud of my baby girl and myself.  Addy is doing very well today and the doctors say we are getting closer to being able to bring her home.  Right now she continues to eat over half of her feeds from a bottle (which is awesome), the docs say she needs to be atleast 80% bottle feeding before the feeding tube can be taken out.  So I'm praying that she continues to eat as much as she can from her bottles.  The lab work will be completed tomorrow and then we will see if her red blood cells are still low or if she had rebuilt enough.  I have moments where I am okay with everything and then there are times where I just pray for the docs to say she can come home.  She is a strong little lady and has come a long way in the last month.  I appreciate all the support through this.  It's hard being a 1st time parent let alone having my baby in the NICU.  Keep praying she conquers these last obstacles so I can have her home with her Daddy and I for Christmas.  That would be the greatest gift I could ask for.  hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)