Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeding a premie question

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 270 Total Views
my little girl is a week old today, and still in the hospital. They have her eating 50 cc's every hour, mostly my breast milk but formula to cause im trying to get my supply up. They are talking about sending her home on oxygen, but they made the comment that she needs to be eating better, so my question is : isnt that a little much for a one week old? Thats almost 2 oz. I had her at 37.4 days, but she had IUGR and was measuring at 33 weeks. She only weights 4.13 right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
OBImomma
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM
My preemie was born at 30 weeks and was not given bm until she was a week old. It was given via feeding tube. At 32 weeks gestation (2 weeks old) she was given bm and they started letting her try a bottle. I think she started around 5ml.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hthrlcl
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM
yea they had her on iv for the first three days, and then put her on a feeding tube, and did every other feeding via feeding tube. They just took the feeding tube out tuesday night. It just seems like alot for a new born. Maybe its just me. My first was breast fed only and never had a bottle so i never knew how much he was getting.

Quoting OBImomma:

My preemie was born at 30 weeks and was not given bm until she was a week old. It was given via feeding tube. At 32 weeks gestation (2 weeks old) she was given bm and they started letting her try a bottle. I think she started around 5ml.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I bf my first too, and then my preemie started nursing full time 2 weeks after she came home, and now I'm nursing my third. So I'm not really sure how much they get either.

Quoting hthrlcl:

yea they had her on iv for the first three days, and then put her on a feeding tube, and did every other feeding via feeding tube. They just took the feeding tube out tuesday night. It just seems like alot for a new born. Maybe its just me. My first was breast fed only and never had a bottle so i never knew how much he was getting.

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZZsMom
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM
That really does sound like a lot. My son was born at 34 weeks and weighed 5lbs. He was in the hospital for two weeks and, by the time he went home, was doing 45ccs every 3 hours. It was really hard to even get him to do that much. It would take at least 45 minutes so I can't imagine doing 50ccs every hour. That seems crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

50 cc's every hour? I would think it would be 50 cc's every 3 hours?

hthrlcl
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM
sorry did i say every hour? I meant every three hour

Quoting Bethbeth:

50 cc's every hour? I would think it would be 50 cc's every 3 hours?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Did they have her on a feeding protocol?  Usually they follow a gradual protocol, but sometimes it can move pretty fast, the doctors can send orders to bump it up if they feel like it's a good idea.  I wouldn't worry about it being too much because if she isn't tolerating it, she will let you know or the nurses will catch any signs that she isn't.  My son couldn't tolerate 17cc's every hours but he's much smaller, so they held him.  They will know!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN