Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apnea and Bradycardia?!

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 751 Total Views

When did your preemie grow out of them?

My son was born at 28 weeks and is now 37 weeks.  He is doing very well and has moved into transition rooms in the NICU, which is where I stay with him and learn to take care of all of his special preemie needs and get ready to go home.  Most babies are in here anywhere from a few days up to about a week or two.  The only thing we are waiting on is my son to take ALL of his feedings by mouth, he drinks a lot of bottles but sometimes I think he gets tired and just doesn't want to, so they have to put it through his tube.

He is also still having a few brady's, especially when he is tired and/or drinking his bottle.  I know they grow out of them but I would have thought by 37 weeks he wouldn't be having them so often!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM
My preemie was born at 30 weeks. She was in the NICU for 33 days. I know she wasn't having any when she came home. I don't remember her having many after the first week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM
My preemie was born at 34 weeks. We were in the NICU for 23 days. She stayed an extra week in the NICU because she had an apnea bradycardia episode and she had to then be monitored for 5 days before she could go home. So she was 37 weeks 4 days when we brought her home and she'd stopped having the episodes right about 37 weeks. Hopefully your little one will stop soon!!!! Best of luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

my twins came at 29 weeks. my dd came home 10 days before her due date when she finally started taking all her feeds. she hadn't had any a's or b's in several weeks. my ds came home a week after his due date. he had been eating all his food for several weeks but was still having a's and b's. he took forever to outgrow them.

MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM

well we are 2 1/2 weeks out from our due date.  His a's and b's seem to be doing good some days (today he's only had 1) but not so good others and he didn't do so well with feeding on cue and taking all his bottles, so they put him back on his every 3 hour schedule and if he's sleeping they feed him through his tube.  I'm not sure when they are going to try and do the cue feeding again, but I hope next time he starts taking all his bottles so he can come home!!

Quoting Bethbeth:

my twins came at 29 weeks. my dd came home 10 days before her due date when she finally started taking all her feeds. she hadn't had any a's or b's in several weeks. my ds came home a week after his due date. he had been eating all his food for several weeks but was still having a's and b's. he took forever to outgrow them.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I hope so, he's 37 weeks 2 days....some days like today he has 1 or 2, and some days he has more.  He has to go 7 days without having any to come home and if he just keeps having them for so long they'll send him home on a monitor for a required minimum of 6 months.

Quoting AmesCSki:

My preemie was born at 34 weeks. We were in the NICU for 23 days. She stayed an extra week in the NICU because she had an apnea bradycardia episode and she had to then be monitored for 5 days before she could go home. So she was 37 weeks 4 days when we brought her home and she'd stopped having the episodes right about 37 weeks. Hopefully your little one will stop soon!!!! Best of luck!!!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

nsrush83
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

The NICU we were in would let us take him home if he didnt have a brady for 7 days with no heart moniter. We could take him home after 3  or 4 days without it getting so low with a heart moniter. Mine was also born at 28 weeks.

MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

That's how our NICU does it too...but I'm hoping he out grows them soon!  Because then it's mandatory he be on the monitor at home for 6 months.

Quoting nsrush83:

The NICU we were in would let us take him home if he didnt have a brady for 7 days with no heart moniter. We could take him home after 3  or 4 days without it getting so low with a heart moniter. Mine was also born at 28 weeks.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

navyjen
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM

My preemie is a 31 weeker.   She spent 22 days in the NICU.  She outgrew her a's and b's at about 33 weeks.   A trick a NICU nurse taught me during feeding times was to make sure that the chin didnt droop forward or it can occlude the breathing.   Hang in there momma.  YOu will be home before you know it.  

Chanchita
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My son was born at 30 weeks. He came home 6 weeks later. He came home on caffeine and a monitor. What they told us that if he didn't have any episodes for 3 monthes he could get off of it but the guy told us it was better safe then sorry so he told us to keep him on it untill we were comfortable. And not so worried about it. He also told us the only time he really needed to be hooked up was when he wasn't in somebody's arms which wasn't very offten. I want to say we kept him on it for around 6 monthes. I thought it was going to be really hard to have him on it but it wasn't that hard and I know that he was safe so I felt better too. I hope everything goes great for you guys.
zannahdeux
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I was there! My son was 32 weeks and we were in the nicu a total of 40 days for the same reason. He still had a few bradis before we left but trust your instincts momma! It is because he is tired and forgets to suck swallow breath combo. He WILL outgrow them. Trust yourself that you will take care of him because you know him the best. I would say the closer he got to 40 weeks they were gone. Maybe once or twice they happened when we were home but I would just yell his name and the color would come back. It will be ok momma I promise. My 13 month old, 11 month old adjusted is 20 pounds and you would never know he was a preemie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)