Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apnea and Bradycardia?!

Posted by   + Show Post

When did your preemie grow out of them?

My son was born at 28 weeks and is now 37 weeks.  He is doing very well and has moved into transition rooms in the NICU, which is where I stay with him and learn to take care of all of his special preemie needs and get ready to go home.  Most babies are in here anywhere from a few days up to about a week or two.  The only thing we are waiting on is my son to take ALL of his feedings by mouth, he drinks a lot of bottles but sometimes I think he gets tired and just doesn't want to, so they have to put it through his tube.

He is also still having a few brady's, especially when he is tired and/or drinking his bottle.  I know they grow out of them but I would have thought by 37 weeks he wouldn't be having them so often!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Replies (11-13):
MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Yeah we are always really careful to make sure his neck is extended so he can breath properly!  Thank you!

Quoting navyjen:

My preemie is a 31 weeker.   She spent 22 days in the NICU.  She outgrew her a's and b's at about 33 weeks.   A trick a NICU nurse taught me during feeding times was to make sure that the chin didnt droop forward or it can occlude the breathing.   Hang in there momma.  YOu will be home before you know it.  

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

firelily90
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I'm in the same boat.. My son was born at 30 weeks he is now 7weeks old. We were supposed to go home today but he had a brady yesterday so we're spending at least another 5days in NICU.. I have a 2yo that was 27weeks and I don't remember her ever having a problem with brady's and she was in NICUfor 4.5mon. I hope he grows out of it soon and gets to go home. Good luck 

hnischke
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM
My son was born at 36 weeks. He was fine the first day/night and then he had his first apnea which lead to the first brady. He also had a very noticeable strider. We ended up staying in the nicu for 12 days. We were only allowed to leave because they put him on caffeine citrate and an apnea/brady monitor. Yesterday he turned 4 months and has only had 2 apnea alarms since he's been home. Those happened during his first major cold. His pedi has now taken him of the caffeine citrate. We go to his check up on Wednesday. We'll talk about having an event recording done. Based on those results he might be allowed off the monitor. He was also diagnosed with tracheomalacia. Which was the reason for the strider. So far he's still really noisey with his breathing but the ENT says he isn't having a lot of alarms and isn't failure to thrive so we can let him out grow it instead of surgery!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN