Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccinations...family...opinions please!

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 314 Total Views

I assume many preemie mom's vaccinate themselves and their babies, and if you don't then I don't need to know.

My 28 weeker will be coming home soon (hopefully)... I had my flu shot while I was pregnant and my TDAP (whooping cough) booster after I had the baby.  My husband wasn't going to get his but after seeing how easily our son has gotten sick in the NICU (twice) and how bad the flu is in our area this year, he is getting both of his tomorrow.  His parents are also getting the flu shot and possibly the TDAP.

My SIL is pregnant and refuses the flu shot, and my mom is against vaccinations, so her and my brother and sister will not be vaccinated...  so my question is, would it be horrible of me to not let them hold the baby or be up in his face if they aren't vaccinated?  And if they want to hold them, to tell them they need to be vaccinated first?  I feel like it will be mean, and I would never want to force someone into a vaccination if they don't agree with them, but I just don't want to take that chance with my preemie.  Share your stories please!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AmesCSki
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You are sooooo in the right to keep your preemie away from non-vaccinated people!!!! Preemies are so fragile and so susceptible to illness. Unless these people get vaccinated they should NOT see the baby. If they have a problem with that have your doctor talk to them. God I'm furious about this lol. Preemies need to always be in the most healthy environment!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZZsMom
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree. I saw a video last year about a full term infant catching whooping cough when she was only a few weeks old and ultimately passing away from it. Protecting your child isn't mean, it's your job and just imagine how you'd feel if your preemie came down with something so preventable. If they have a problem with it, that's selfishness on their part. You just worry about the health of your little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koalasami
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I adopted a preemie through foster care.  When I started visiting in NICU (about 10 days before he came home) they would not let me visit without the shots.  They would not let him come home until everyone had them.  I would agree that you need to protect your baby and I would not let anyone who has not been vaccinated around him.

MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies!  I'm sure a few family members aren't going to understand but my baby being healthy is more important!  Now I don't feel like I'm being so over protective.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

LaudeDaude
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I totally agree. My parents live 400 miles away and only see my on every couple of months and they still got vaccinated. My MIL watches my son now that I am working from the office again and she got vaccinated, along with my FIL. I honestly don't understand why anyone would make a big deal out of this given the protection it provides for your child. Heck, TDAP is a tetanus booster, and how many people do you know that couldn't use one of those? I hope you can convince them to do it. I bet you withholding baby cuddles will be motivation! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I did!  My parents and my husbands parents are all getting vaccinated.  All of our sibilings have decided not to and we nicely told them that we support their own personal choice but they will not be able to huge, hold, kiss or be up in the babys face when he gets home.  Which is probably a good thing that way the only other people holding him will just be grandparents and the less people wanting to hold him or be around him the better.... at least until flu season is over.

Quoting LaudeDaude:

I totally agree. My parents live 400 miles away and only see my on every couple of months and they still got vaccinated. My MIL watches my son now that I am working from the office again and she got vaccinated, along with my FIL. I honestly don't understand why anyone would make a big deal out of this given the protection it provides for your child. Heck, TDAP is a tetanus booster, and how many people do you know that couldn't use one of those? I hope you can convince them to do it. I bet you withholding baby cuddles will be motivation! :-)

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Sue.Kim
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM
My guy was a 22wkr and watching him have to fight and be vented many times over colds. . i honestly wouldn't let them in my home our sound my child. it may seem harsh but our bubs can't handle things attacking their immune system and having unvaccinated people around increase the risk. Its fine for a healthy full term baby to challenge and build their immunity but our preemies can not be challenged that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)