Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeding question

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 286 Total Views
My baby is two months on Christmas adjust age 4 weeks she is only eating 2 oz every 3 hours is this normal? Sorry first time mom to a premature baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

the main questions are....is she gaining weight well? lots of wet diapers?

if yes, then she is eating enough. if no, then she probably needs more. talk to your dr if you're not sure. I would think she could start taking 3 oz soon though.

AmesCSki
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM
My preemie was eating that exact amount at that age. She's now 8 1/2 months (7 months adjusted) and now eats only 4-6oz every 3-4 hours plus some solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navyjen
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That sounds about right to me.  She should start taking 3 oz here shortly.   My preemie is now 6 months old 4 adjusted and takes 4 - 6 every three hours still.   If I were you I would make the bottles 3 oz and see if you can get her to take more.  

amandasantelman
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Thanks ladies I will definitely try to make bottles 3 oz and see if she will eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mchap07
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM

It's been a while since I dealt with feeding a preemie baby.. mine was 3 months early and almost 7years old now. But I do have an almost 11month old baby girl and the one thing about feeding I learned from my first child.. feed them when they are hungry, if they are continuing to suck on the bottle even after they are done with it, up it an ounce at the next bottle. Even if they don't drink it all. Make sure your baby has good wet diapers and good poopies. My daughter now, although she is eating regular food along with bottles, when she was just starting out, I would make an extra ounce when I noticed she was still sucking after her bottle is gone. Hope this helps... feel free to pm me if you have questions. 

amandasantelman
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Thanks I did make her 3 oz but after her two she spits it out and I feed when she is hungry. She is not pooping every day so the doctor today is sending us to a different doctor for that..

Quoting mchap07:

It's been a while since I dealt with feeding a preemie baby.. mine was 3 months early and almost 7years old now. But I do have an almost 11month old baby girl and the one thing about feeding I learned from my first child.. feed them when they are hungry, if they are continuing to suck on the bottle even after they are done with it, up it an ounce at the next bottle. Even if they don't drink it all. Make sure your baby has good wet diapers and good poopies. My daughter now, although she is eating regular food along with bottles, when she was just starting out, I would make an extra ounce when I noticed she was still sucking after her bottle is gone. Hope this helps... feel free to pm me if you have questions. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mchap07
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Maybe just add a half ounce more. with 1/4 scoop of formula to the extra half ounce. That is what I would do to see if it helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)