Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9-Month appointment and Early Intervention Evaluation

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

My preemie had her 9-month appointment today. The doctor said she looks great. Her heart murmur is gone which is amazing but we still will see the pediatric cardiologist in May for a follow up from last May. My DD is now 16lbs and 28 inches, she's long and skinny. However, one thing I worry about is the doctor said at this age she should be saying the consonants Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma, Da-Da-Da-Da and Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba. She doesn't do this at all. I'm a little stressed about this. We are getting her evaluated at the end of the month by Early Intervention so I may have more answers then. I'm very worried about that appointment, when we had her evaluated back when she was 3 months old, they said she was on track, but she's not crawling or anything now. I'm afraid I will get very emotional because they'll tell me there are all sorts of things wrong with my baby. :(

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ZZsMom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

How early was she? My son is now 18 months old. He was born at 34 weeks. He's still not talking. He seemed to babble for awhile and then stop and now he's started again. I'd like to believe that he's saying Mama with purpose but I'm not entirely sure as it seems to be his word for everything (but then...I guess I do get everything for him!). We brought this up at his 15 month visit and the doctor told us that there was nothing unusual about him not speaking yet. He said he'd like to see 5 words by 21 months. I'm not sure that he'll make that threshold unless his language really explodes in the next few months but I guess that I'm not terribly concerned because it's obvious that he understands language. He follows commands, identifies his body parts and definitely gets his point across. His 18 month visit is next week and I'm sure that the doctor will offer us an early intervention referral if we want it but, honestly, I'm not sure that I do. I don't believe that there's anything wrong, I just think he'll be a late talker. A couple of my cousins didn't speak until they were between 2 and 3 years old. They're now college graduates with above average intelligence. A friend's brother also didn't speak until age 3, now he's a writer. Kids do things at different times. Get the evaluation if it will ease your concerns but try not to worry too much, I'm sure she's fine. Oh, and I think my son crawled around 10 months but then he was walking a couple of months later.

AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

She was also born at 34 weeks, like your son. I guess I forgot to mention that. Your reply definitely made me feel a bit better...thanks!!!

Quoting ZZsMom:

How early was she? My son is now 18 months old. He was born at 34 weeks. He's still not talking. He seemed to babble for awhile and then stop and now he's started again. I'd like to believe that he's saying Mama with purpose but I'm not entirely sure as it seems to be his word for everything (but then...I guess I do get everything for him!). We brought this up at his 15 month visit and the doctor told us that there was nothing unusual about him not speaking yet. He said he'd like to see 5 words by 21 months. I'm not sure that he'll make that threshold unless his language really explodes in the next few months but I guess that I'm not terribly concerned because it's obvious that he understands language. He follows commands, identifies his body parts and definitely gets his point across. His 18 month visit is next week and I'm sure that the doctor will offer us an early intervention referral if we want it but, honestly, I'm not sure that I do. I don't believe that there's anything wrong, I just think he'll be a late talker. A couple of my cousins didn't speak until they were between 2 and 3 years old. They're now college graduates with above average intelligence. A friend's brother also didn't speak until age 3, now he's a writer. Kids do things at different times. Get the evaluation if it will ease your concerns but try not to worry too much, I'm sure she's fine. Oh, and I think my son crawled around 10 months but then he was walking a couple of months later.

koalasami
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I have been dealing with EI for 3 years for my oldest son and 7 months for the baby.  I LOVE them but you do need to be prepared to hear the worst because they will tell you everything that could possibly be wrong.  They always stress me out.  But they will help you come up with a plan to fix it and that is important.  Both of my son's have delays because of the things bio mom did while she was pregnant.  However, my 3 year old is getting caught up and is doing great and I credit a lot of that to EI.

As far as the speech - have you had her ears checked?  If you are concerned about speech that is a good place to start.  Both of my littles have had fluid in their ears and with the older one they had to put tubes in when he was about 1 1/2 because the fluid was causing hearing problems which had caused a speech delay.  They think they are going to need to put tubes in the baby for the same reason.  Not a lot of "infections" just fluid. 

Another thing I have been told that is any child that spends any significant amount of time in NICU is at a higher risk of hearing loss and should have their hearing checked every 6 months.  We did this and that is actually how they caught the problem with my older son.  He passed the first 3 tests and then the 4th one he did not.

koalasami
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My 2 cents - if your doctor offers EI I would take the referral and let them come do an eval.  If they don't find anything that is GREAT - you may be out about an hour of your life.  But if they do find something wrong you will have caught it early and they can start working on correcting it before it snowballs and becomes a bigger issue. 

Quoting ZZsMom:

navyjen
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Relax.  I know didnt I just post yesterday concerns about my dd not rolling yet.  Well she rolled over for the first time last night and I cried I was so happy.    But take a deep breath.   Its all going to be ok and I know it sucks and I know worrying takes the life out of us but just try and enjoy your baby girl.   Let EI come evaluate her and if she needs help they can help you.  LOok how far you have already come since her birth.   EI is a great assistance.   Hugs and hang in there. 

cheerwin
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Do not worry.  She is just taking her time.  My 26 weekers didn't say anything for the longest time and  I completely freaked out about it.  I thought they should be using those consonants and combinations and everything the doctors benchmark for you, but they were not.  They saw a speech therapist and an occupational therapist for three years.  They are six now and sometimes I wish they would give me some peace and quiet again.  What seems like a worrisome problem now will most likely pass and your little girl will be gabbing in no time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)