Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby in nicu wont eat!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 446 Total Views
Hi everyone!
My daughter Bethany is 2 weeks old today (born at 32 weeks). I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not very good at that! Two days ago she nursed her entire noon feeding. But yesterday and today she won't even attempt to eat (nursing or bottle feeding). She's doing great with everything else, she just won't eat. I know I just need to be patient and wait for her to grow a little, but I really want her to come home! I guess I'm just looking for encouragement. Have any of you dealt with this? Lol, I bet a lot of you have :-). Thanks for allowing my rant.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Still dealing with it at 9 months unfortunately! My preemie sometimes has zero interest whatsoever in eating but she will make up for it the next day or even the next feeding. Just be patient :) and as you said it's difficult to be patient!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Also when we were in the NICU she had a feeding tube for awhile then there was a point when she had the tube and I was nursing her, then it was finally at the point where i was just nursing her. Maybe in the NICU they could do a feeding tube for your little one just for a short time so she gets food? Just an idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

my twins were born at 29 weeks and had feeding tubes for what seemed like forever. For several weeks they would eat a few meals a day, but still needed the feeding tube for the other meals each day. I felt like they were never going to want to eat all on their own. But they finally decided it was time to EAT. They both had their tubes out about 2-3 weeks before their due dates and have eaten great since. It will happen.

ZZsMom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My son was born at 34 weeks and feeding was so frustrating. There were a couple of times when I felt like he latched and was nursing effectively. But, mostly, he just wouldn't. His issue with feeding was the one thing that kept us in the hospital. Honestly, trust that someday, she's going to eat like crazy. But, right now, she's probably just not ready. The fact that she did it once doesn't mean that it has clicked in her brain that she needs to do that to get nourishment. Their instincts just aren't well developed right now. After having a breakdown in front of a doctor, she recommended trying to give him a bottle. She felt that it was the right thing to just get us out of the hospital so we could work on things at home. I agreed. I swear that we would have been there another month if I just stuck to breastfeeding. Even with the bottle though, he was a painfully slow feeder. It would take about 45 minutes for him to take 1.5 ounces. There were several days after we brought him home that I thought we'd have to go back to the hospital because it was so hard to get him to eat. I would use a cold, wet cloth to try to keep him awake long enough to feed but it often wasn't enough. And now he's 18 months old, he'd snack all day if I let him and he's big for his age. So it truly is an exercise in patience. She'll get there.

emilieg
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
savannabooker
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My dd was born at 33 weeks and she did not start nursing on a regular basis until she was 4 weeks old. Give it some time and just keep trying!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navyjen
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Give her time.   Honestly it takes a few days to catch on.    And some days are better than others.  Before you know it she will be eating like a little piggie.  I know the whol eNICU thing sucks but keep trying she will catch on quickly.   These preemies are amazing little things.

kellymom127
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

we were on the feeding tube for awhile. Took him even longer to learn to nurse. It probably just really wore her out is it is hard work for them. Be patient, it will come. Mine was a 32 weeker as well.

garrettleesmom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My son was born at 32 1/2 weeks and spent 6 1/2 weeks in the nicu. Waiting for him to learn to eat took forever. He would have good days and bad days. Hang in there, it will happen
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM
My son was 32 weeks too and we went through the same thing. I am sorry momma that was my biggest frustration too but she will over come this I promise! Just understand its one step forward and two steps back it seems some days. They have no fat pads and still have a ton of growing to do...eating takes a lot of energy. Trust that the days she doesn't want to eat she is growing so she can come home with you nice and strong, we were there 40 days so just enjoy having the love,y nurses help take care if your little one while you heal and get nice and strong for when she comes home. She will get it. Just have patience
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)