Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby in nicu wont eat!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi everyone!
My daughter Bethany is 2 weeks old today (born at 32 weeks). I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not very good at that! Two days ago she nursed her entire noon feeding. But yesterday and today she won't even attempt to eat (nursing or bottle feeding). She's doing great with everything else, she just won't eat. I know I just need to be patient and wait for her to grow a little, but I really want her to come home! I guess I'm just looking for encouragement. Have any of you dealt with this? Lol, I bet a lot of you have :-). Thanks for allowing my rant.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (11-13):
Addiesmommy326
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

We had the same issue. I found if i took over all the  bottle feedings, I was able to get her to do it. You have 30 minutes for her to take the bottle, if she goes longer, the nurses stop and tube the rest right? If mommy does it, the nurses sometimes give you a few extra minutes....keep trying! Don't give up. You both are doing this together! When I finally took every feeding in a 24 hr period (her feedings being every 3 hours) we got there. Ihad been missing the two over night feedings but when I finally had enough of the NICU, my 16 hr days jumped to 23 hr days...and she came home real fast after that!

esilanna
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Exactly where I'm at expect my son was born 34 weeks
MMerrill
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM

It takes some time...they just learn to develop the suck-swallow-breath reflex around 34 weeks and it takes a LOT of energy for them to eat!  Be patient it takes time.  My son didn't start taking all his bottles until he was 39 weeks gestation.  He was fed mostly through his tube up until then.  It was the last thing we had to do before he came home and then one day he just decided he wanted to take them all and we got to go home a few days later!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN