Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she hasn't started sitting up ):

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 341 Total Views

My daughter was born at 35 wks and 3 days and she won't sit up. She is going to be 7 months old tomorrow and stull has not sat up on her own. Is there anyone who has had similar problems with their preemies? I just want to know if anyone has any advice.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Will she be 7 months adjusted or 7 months actual? My preemie was born at 34w2d and didn't start sitting til she was between 7 1/2 and 8 months actual (6 months-6 1/2 months adjusted)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Remember preemies develop at their own rate they have different timelines than full term babies! Try to be patient :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy50810
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My son was born at 32.5 weeks and didn't start sitting on his own until he was 8 months old. He had OT and she suggested using a boppy pillow. I would put it around him so he was kind of leaning on the pillow part. Then I would put toys there for him to play with. It seemed to help. We did that for a little while and then switched the boppy so the pillow part was in back of him. I know it is so hard, but try not to worry, like AmesCSki said, preemies develop at their own rate. Have you ever read the book, "Ruby in her Own Time"? It's a children's book but great for parents of preemies!

navyjen
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

DOnt sweat it.  My preemie is 7 months old 5 adjusted and just mastered rolling over both ways.   They all do things in there own time and really 7 months is early to be sitting anyway.    Give her some time and just work with her on it.  

LaudeDaude
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM
What everyone else said - don't worry! My 33 weekend will be 8 months actual Friday and he's a very wobbly sitter still, if he sits at all. However, he's been crawling for about a week. Preemies are known for doing things on their own schedule and sometimes out of order. Don't sweat it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandijones1
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
My 30 wkr was around 9 months actual before she really started sitting up.. She didn't walk until right before she was 14 months. Her ped wasn't concerned at all..
Graceplustwo
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
my little girl was born aug 10 at 35.3 weeks too. she started sitting up at a week after she turned 6 m. but as everyone says dont be worried all babies esp preemies develop at their own pace. if you are truely concerned always contact your doctor:)
Mrs.ET3
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I would just say don't sweat it. Even with non-preemie infants I've read the "normal" range is anywhere from 6 to 9 months. My son didn't sit at all until he was 9 months adjusted (10.5 months actual). But when he got it, he had it. No wobbling or anything. Now a month later he's pulling himself to a standing position and moving along furniture very slowly. I've read bumbos and highchairs could help her muscles learn to keep in that position but none of that helped my son at all. Just one day when you least expect it she'll do it, then you can breathe a sigh of relief until you start worrying she isn't meeting her next milestone. :)

MABmommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:46 AM
So, it has been a few months since you created this post. How is your DD doing now?

Quoting khemi418:

My daughter was born at 35 wks and 3 days and she won't sit up. She is going to be 7 months old tomorrow and stull has not sat up on her own. Is there anyone who has had similar problems with their preemies? I just want to know if anyone has any advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)