Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Preemies Supposed To Sleep So Much??

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

My Daughter was born at 34 weeks 1 day. (Sept 17, 2012) She was 3lbs 15.4oz. (11 days in the NICU) Well, now she is a 10lb 8oz, 4.5 months (3 months adjusted) and all she wants to do is sleep. She used to stay awake most the day but lately she wants to sleep, sleep, sleep. I have tried putting her on her playmat to play and she cries, so I put her on her tummy for tummy time and she goes to sleep. She doesn't drink much but her Dr said she is gaining great so it's not something to worry about, just feed on demand. About 7-73-pm she gets a stage one food. Tonight she absolutely REFUSED it and only wanted a 5oz bottle (which sometimes is a struggle to get her to finish a 5oz) she drank the entire bottle and fell asleep drinking and is out like a light now. NOW another problem is we went from sleeping through the night to now waking up A LOT through the night. Is this a normal preemie thing? She is hitting all her milestones on time if not early. But are preemies naturally sleepy?? Maybe she is going through a growth spurt?? Teething?? (She ALWAYS chews on her hands) Everyone says I shouldn't let her sleep so much...but how do you keep a baby up who doesn't want to be up??

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
blondieinva80
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM
She could be teething and going thru growth spurt...I know my ds is doing that right now,and he sleeps alot. he has times where he will get up more overnights alsi.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnkrbell860
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Oh good, yea everyone is telling me wake her up....but don't the saying always go...never wake a sleeping baby?? 

Quoting blondieinva80:

She could be teething and going thru growth spurt...I know my ds is doing that right now,and he sleeps alot. he has times where he will get up more overnights alsi.

blondieinva80
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't wake her...let her sleep...it's completely normal and all you will get if you wake her is a cranky baby
AmesCSki
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Let her sleep. Preemies do sleep a ton. My preemie was born at 34 weeks 2 days back in April and still sleeps a lot!!!! Yours is probably going through a growth spurt...don't worry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnkrbell860
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Thank you so much..yea when people tell me wake her I tell them they are crazy

blondieinva80
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Lol...I probably wouldn't be so nice :)
Bethbeth
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM

As long as she is eating enough to gain weight well she can sleep as much as she wants. really. no need to try to keep her up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN