Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduction Post(and a little vent)

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 138 Total Views

SO I've tried doing this 3 times but it keeps kicking me off so no pictures until later.

Samantha was born at 36 weeks and 1 day. She had Jaundice and came close to needing a blood transfusion. Her cord in utero i later found out was to 2 inches to short and to thin. She spent 8 days in the Nursery. She is a very active 2 year old now. She'll be 3 in September.

Nathaniel was born at 35 weeks and 5 days. He had trouble breathing. In the treatment of this they caused an air pocket to develope next to his left lung. So he spent 7 days in the Nursery. He will be 2 in September.

I'm venting also because people seem to think that once they turned 1 all the health problems went away. But that's sooo not the case. Both have horrible summer allergies. Plus weaken immune systems. Yet everyone seems to think they can blame me for them being sick all the time. Like its my fault. I wash hands, I sanitize the heck out of everything. They wear weather appropriate clothing. They take a multivitamin. Please tell me what more can i do????

Anyone else dealing with this???????

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bethbeth
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

My 29 week twins are 8 months, so we haven't reached the 1 year mark yet. One was in the hospital 2 months and the other 2.5 months. I feel like right after they came home from the hospital people expected them to be the same as other full term babies. I guess people just don't know what is normal for preemies, so unfortunately we have to help educate our friends and family.

lilaoichan
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My son Erick, 2 years old in March (born at 29 Weeks and spend 3 months in the NICU)  was born with CLD (Cronic Lung Disease) so he is always sick.  He's on 2 different inhalers (one regular and one steriod) that I have to give him 2X a day.  He is in Daycare where I work and the tiniest little cold can turn bad.  Like now, he's been home since Wensday morning with High fever and nothing else.  

The way I see it, other people who don't have a premie don't understand what the child goes through like other moms of premies do.  They r just uneducated and instead of getting pissed at them you should try to talk to them and make them understand what your child is going through.  

As for your question:  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and what is best for ur kids.  Just keep it up and if they get sick just give them extra love and hugs.  You should talk to their pediatrition about getting them allergy tested or if there is a allergy med that they can take.  My DD who is 7 yrs has been on Benegryl *sp?  since she was about 3.  Hope this helps

MamaTrombley
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

We have an Appointment for our DD we are sure she has Season Allergies. Her poor nose is a fountain right now.

Quoting lilaoichan:

My son Erick, 2 years old in March (born at 29 Weeks and spend 3 months in the NICU)  was born with CLD (Cronic Lung Disease) so he is always sick.  He's on 2 different inhalers (one regular and one steriod) that I have to give him 2X a day.  He is in Daycare where I work and the tiniest little cold can turn bad.  Like now, he's been home since Wensday morning with High fever and nothing else.  

The way I see it, other people who don't have a premie don't understand what the child goes through like other moms of premies do.  They r just uneducated and instead of getting pissed at them you should try to talk to them and make them understand what your child is going through.  

As for your question:  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and what is best for ur kids.  Just keep it up and if they get sick just give them extra love and hugs.  You should talk to their pediatrition about getting them allergy tested or if there is a allergy med that they can take.  My DD who is 7 yrs has been on Benegryl *sp?  since she was about 3.  Hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)