Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wanted to introduce myself!

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 115 Total Views

My name is Erica, I am 22 and have 2 beautiful little girls. My first Arianna was a normal healthy pregnancy. My second however was not so normal. At around 28 weeks I went for an u/s as I was measuring small, where it was determined that my fluid was low. At this point I had to be monitored to make sure my fluid didn't drop anymore, this problem fixed itself within a few weeks but with one relief came another heartache. My baby wasn't growing the way she should be and was measuring 4 weeks smaller than she should have been. This was at 32 weeks. I now how to endure BPPs (biophysical profile) twice a week to monitor growth and movement. My princess wasn't practicing breathing movements and as her growth continued to slow she was pronounced IUGR. I was told she wouldn't be breathing and I wouldn't be allowed to go to term. Every BPP was followed by a NST because of her not practicing breathing movements. At 36 weeks I woke up to what I thought was my water breaking. I went into the bathroom to discover, not water, but that I was covered in blood. I rushed to the hospital and although having contractions wasn't dilating. I was told I wasn't having her.  To the hospitals surprise in a matter of hours it switched up and I was dilating quick. I went from a 4 to a 9 in less than a half hour, no time for an epidural and I couldn't wait to push. Rose was born at 6:51am on Dec 20th 2011 weighing 4lbs 14oz and 18in. She was breathing on her own luckily and had a slight touch of jaundice but was allowed to come home 12/22/11 at 4lbs 10oz.

About 4 months old next to a newborn

This is my princess now!!! :-)

I know my story doesn't compare to alot of others but congratulations to you all!

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kellymom127
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I had an IUGR baby as well and he is still tiny. I had him at 32 weeks and he is now 14 months old actual (12 months adjusted). There were baby dolls at a kids event called the magic house that were bigger than him when went we went over the summer. I was on bedrest at the hospital for all the daily monitoring to make sure the blood flow in the umbilcal cord didn't go into reverse flow.

They are little miracle babies that is for sure :)

Arismommy1007
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I have never actually been able to talk to another mom of an IUGR baby!!! I was never put on bedrest but I was taken out of work and also monitored for blood flow and it was actually half way in between I guess? So it wasn't completely flowing right by what I understand. Did you go naturally or were you induced? I was told it wasn't possible to go to 40 weeks and I would be induced before but I went on my own. How big was he when he was born?

Quoting kellymom127:

I had an IUGR baby as well and he is still tiny. I had him at 32 weeks and he is now 14 months old actual (12 months adjusted). There were baby dolls at a kids event called the magic house that were bigger than him when went we went over the summer. I was on bedrest at the hospital for all the daily monitoring to make sure the blood flow in the umbilcal cord didn't go into reverse flow.

They are little miracle babies that is for sure :)

kellymom127
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

the umbilical cord was having absent flow episodes so that is why I had to daily monitoring. I was on hospital bed rest for 1.5 weeks (would have been longer to try to keep him in but he was having to many bad decelerations) after being at home on bedrest. Luke was born weighing 3lbs 6oz (now is around 20lbs). I could not be induced since he could not survive labor & contractions - would have no blood reserve. I had an c-section that I was extremely dreading. You are right, IUGR babies typically can't or won't make it to 40 weeks. My placenta was also over maturing so Luke won't have make it that long.

Arismommy1007
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yeah my doctor won't confirm but I think I had a placenta abruption. When I delivered I was bleeding really bad before hand and having really bad back labor, when I delivered the afterbirth the doctor shoved it in my face and told me my placenta was small. Which is kind of funny because with the IUGR and twice weekly BPPs you'd think they would have checked the size of my placenta but they never once even looked at it. I asked about the bleeding and they told me it was bloody show, which i've never had but am pretty sure it isn't that much. When it came out I thought my water was breaking because there was so much

Quoting kellymom127:

the umbilical cord was having absent flow episodes so that is why I had to daily monitoring. I was on hospital bed rest for 1.5 weeks (would have been longer to try to keep him in but he was having to many bad decelerations) after being at home on bedrest. Luke was born weighing 3lbs 6oz (now is around 20lbs). I could not be induced since he could not survive labor & contractions - would have no blood reserve. I had an c-section that I was extremely dreading. You are right, IUGR babies typically can't or won't make it to 40 weeks. My placenta was also over maturing so Luke won't have make it that long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)