Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I noticed that we don't have a place to introduce ourselves... so here we are!

I'm Jess, 25.  My son Evan is my preemie.  He was born at 34 weeks 6 days (so we normally just go with 35 weeks).  The whole pregnancy was plagued with problems: Hypermesis gravidum, complete placental previa until 34 weeks, an incompetent cervix, too much amniotic fluid, as well as preterm labor starting at 32 weeks.  His birth was extremely sudden... I wasn't dialated at all at 11 pm, and he was born at 4:34 am.  I didn't even know I was in labor until 8 minutes before he was born.  I ended up also having a placental abruption and the cord was around his neck multiple times.
I also have another child, a daughter named Natalie (she's 2 months today)... she was born at 38 weeks, so she's my "healthy" child...
There's a lot to the story of Evan's NICU stay, but I won't get into that now.

I'm your group admin (Donna is the group owner), so if you ever have a problem, just let me know!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Replies (271-280):
garrettleesmom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Hi my name is Erica, and my son Garrett was born at 32 1/2 weeks.  I had many problems during the pregnancy such as low amniotic fluid and limited cord flow.  I also had toxemia and preeclamsia.  The doctor decided to get him out via c-section because he was not growing and he did not tolerate the contractions when they tried to enduce me.  He was 2lbs 0.5 oz. He was in the NICU for 6 1/2 weeks.  Now is a healthy 13 month old and 17 lbs.  He is small for his age and looks like a 7 month old. He is getting really close to walking and beginning to say a couple of words. I feel very lucky that he is so healthy after a rocky start.

mlhoffman76
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Hello, my name is Michele and I gave birth to my first child, Addyson, at 32 weeks 1 day on October 31st. I began to have issues with preclampsia and my doctor recommended that I go to a bigger hospital for observation. After 10 hours they decided to induce me since they couldn't control my blood pressure. We have been lucky cause Addy has no respiratory problems and has been functioning 100% on her own since birth. She was under a bili light for a week, but has been able to control her temperature and no more signs of jaundice. She weighed 3 lbs at birth, lost a little bit but is currently 3 lbs 3 oz, she is gaining a little bit every day. She has been fed through a feeding tube until the last few days and we have been getting her to take a bottle atlease once or twice a day. I was told she needs to learn to eat from a bottle before she can come home, which will take a little of time. She also has had issues with brady episodes but she brings up her heart rate on her own. They nurses say this is normal and it's a positive thing that she can control them on her own. They are becoming fewer each day and not as low as they were last week. I'm being told that all this is normal for preemies and that she is doing great and that in time she will be well enough to come home. I joined CM to get support and encouragment from others who have had preemies. Right now it's hard for me not to have her home w/ me as she is in the NICU at a hospital an hour a way. I know this is the best place for her right now and that she is in good hands. She has been in NICU for 15 days and it's been the toughest thing for my husband and I. We are hoping to have her home before Christmas (my original due date) if not before. I appreciate any assistance in getting through this tough time or encouragement. I know I am not alone and there are also poor children that are not as lucky as Addy has been. I keep praying each day that she continues to get stronger so she can come home. I just hope once I get her home I don't go crazy watching her every single breath and worrying.

baby gift

bugygirl
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Hi I'm Tanya my daughter was born at 30 weeks on May 18th 2012 I was diagnosed with GD,high blood pressure at 16 weeks.at 28 weeks I was diagnosed with IUGR. at 29 weeks I was put on hospital bed rest diagnosed with pre-e. at 30 weeks she went in the fetal distress I had an emergency c section she weighed 1 pounds 14 ounces she was on the ventilator for less than 12 hours all she had to do was go eat and grow she spent 7 weeks in the NICU she is a happy healthy 6 and a half month old at her 6 month well baby check she was 11 pounds and doing great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

My name is Melissa and my son was born October 28th @ 28 weeks via emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  He also suffered IUGR.  He's been in the NICU 47 days so far but is moving right along!  He weighed 1lb 14oz at birth and is now almost 4lbs!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

mchap07
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:15 AM

My son Theodore was born at 27 weeks. 1lb 13.6oz. My pregnancy went just fine till the end. I was dehydrated but they said that didn't cause me to go into labor. He is now almost 7 years old and developmentally on time he is just small for his age. After years of testing he was just diagnosed in august with GHD(growth hormone deficient). He has been on growth hormone therapy treatments that have helped. Unfortunately over the last year he has had issues with his immune system and had problems with either his throat or his lungs... maybe both. I also have an older daughter whom was from my husbands first marriage, she was born about a month early... I was not around at that point but I heard many stories about her nicu stay.. she is also small for her age but doesn't have any health issues from it. Last but not least my almost 11month old daughter. She was born 38weeks 3 days and being our 3rd child... we named her kelilah which means perfect. She was born on time and came home on time. She was our 3rd times a charm child. 

emilieg
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Hi, my name is Emilie, and I have 3 children. Miles is 6, Seth is 2, and Bethany was born 8 days ago (exactly 2 years, to the hour after her big brother). Bethany was born by emergency c-section at 32 weeks due to a really bad placental abduction. If we hadn't already been at the hospital due to contractions we probably wouldn't have made it. I started hemorrhaging and 10 minutes later they had her out (before the spinal had fully kicked in!) So I'm home and she's in the nicu. Leaving my baby and going home is just about the hardest thing I've ever done.

Then, a couple days ago everyone in our house (except the 2 year old, so far) came down with a stomach virus! The good news is that I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Haha! The bad news is that I haven't been able to go see Bethany in several days.

Bethany is doing great! She's breathing well (was ventilated for about 12 hours the first day) and is off her iv. They are working on reducing the temp in her isolate and she's doing good maintaining her body temp. She was pretty jaundiced, but a few days under the lights seem to have fixed that. Her biggest thing is eating. She's getting most of her meals through a feeding tube, but is bottle feeding a couple times a day. But she always gets worn out and falls asleep half way through! She has no interest at all in nursing, but we'll keep working on that.

This is all new to me so any advice would be appreciated!
heartmom90
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Hi my name is Erica I am 22. And my daughters name is Jamie. Sheis my first and a preemie. She was born at 36 weeks and 1 day . Because she was having d-cells  she weighed 4lbs 0.1ox now she's 11lbs 12oz 

blondieinva80
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Hi,my name is Teresa. My ds is Jonathan. He is a 30 week,4 dayer. He will be 5 months old on Wednesday. He weighed on at 3lbs.,10oz.We spent 83 days in the NICU and we have been thru so much and still going thru alot. I am also a single mom on top of it all,with no help from the sperm donor.
FloresMom7
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Hi I'm Iliana!
I'm a mommy of 5! Two of my babies are identical twin boys Victor and Carlos, they are my preemies. my boys were born at 25 weeks and both spent 5 months in the NICU, both endured many surgeries and complications, at 5 months we got to take our Carlos home and he's a happy healthy little 3 years old! At 5 months and 17 days we lost our Victor. He past unexpectedly. It's been 3 years since we've lost victor and it's still extremely hard to cope.
lilaoichan
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Hi!  I'm Katie and Ive been married for 5 yrs.  My husband and I have 2 kids Alicia who is 6 and Erick who is 22 months.  Erick is our preemie.  He was born at 29 weeks, weighed 2lbs 15 1/2oz, and was already 16in long.  My story scares alot of people because I got pregnant on Paraguard.  For those of you who don't know what it is it's a BC that is non-hormonal and is placed on ur cervix.  Every month it gave off Copper instead of a hormone.  Anyway, I didn't know I was pregnant until the end of Feb. 2011.  And when I found out I was I figured I was maybe a month along.  But I started spotting, went to the dr. and had a sono done and I was 26 weeks along.  After Erick did a trial run on Mon. Feb 28th and the drs stopped the labor and with 2 steriod shots developed his lungs I was allowed to go home.  But Erick wasn't having that.  He decided to come into this world on March 4th by emergancy C-section at 8:02pm.  Erick came home from the NICU Mothers day weekend 5/7/11, on a heart monitor machine becuase he still stopped breathing at night when he slept.  

Today at 22 months.  Erick is 37lbs.  He had caught up with his gross motor delay and is still working on his fine motor (he still cant use a spoon or fork correctly but he's trying).  He still hasn't found his language skills yet (he babbles and coos but not concrete words have come out).  All in all he is doing great so far.  He does have a few health issues.  He was born with CLD (cronic lung disease) which was caused by the drs. rapidly developing his lungs, he also has reflux problems.  He has to sleep on his tummy or side or he chokes and stops breathing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN