Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I noticed that we don't have a place to introduce ourselves... so here we are!

I'm Jess, 25.  My son Evan is my preemie.  He was born at 34 weeks 6 days (so we normally just go with 35 weeks).  The whole pregnancy was plagued with problems: Hypermesis gravidum, complete placental previa until 34 weeks, an incompetent cervix, too much amniotic fluid, as well as preterm labor starting at 32 weeks.  His birth was extremely sudden... I wasn't dialated at all at 11 pm, and he was born at 4:34 am.  I didn't even know I was in labor until 8 minutes before he was born.  I ended up also having a placental abruption and the cord was around his neck multiple times.
I also have another child, a daughter named Natalie (she's 2 months today)... she was born at 38 weeks, so she's my "healthy" child...
There's a lot to the story of Evan's NICU stay, but I won't get into that now.

I'm your group admin (Donna is the group owner), so if you ever have a problem, just let me know!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
BellasMom110
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Hi, my name is Cara and I am the mom of Bella who was born at 25 weeks and 6 days.  She is entering her 6th week in the NICU and is still intubated needing some extra oxygen.  Me and my husband of 2 1/2 years are first time parents and new to this NICU experience.  I have tried to ask as many questions as possible but I really don't receive many answers.  Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

MrsTranum
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Hey ladies,
  I'm Kim, 21. My husband and I have been married for 2  1/2 years. We have one child together, a girl. She was a preemie. According to my due date she was over 6 weeks early, but all the doctors and nurses insist that she had to be a 34, 35 week baby. She spent 11 days in the NICU and now is a healthy little girl. She was born Oct. 6th and my due date was Nov. 19th...so I still have a few days to go till me due date :) At least i don't have to worry about going over due.

Bryanna weighed 6lbs 1.2oz, 18 1/2in. when she was born and at her one month appt she was 7lbs. 3oz., 20 1/2in.

Momx3Stepx1
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2007 at 10:47 PM

All my babies were born prematurely. 32 weeks( 17 days in the NICU), 31 weeks ( 30 days in the NICU)  and 34 weeks.( 18 daysin the NICU)
I have a Bicornuate uterus

It  affects my ability to become or remain pregnant.

A bicornuate uterus is described as one having protrusions at the top of either side of the womb, sometimes giving the uterus a distinct heart-shape. It is actually a birth defect, so if you do have the condition, it is not due to something you have done or are doing wrong. Likewise, there is no way to correct the condition.

Because of my condition I miscarried twice and had all my babies early. The last two by c section because they were both breech.

My kids are 15, 4 and 3 now and all healthy.

ae_lbmom
by on Nov. 21, 2007 at 2:07 PM
  Hi, my name is Shelley.  My little man name is Landen.  He was born at 26 weeks and 6 days.  I went to get a ultrasound because they thought I was losing fluid.  Well my fluid was fine but I was Hourglassing.  They immediately admitted me to Vanderbilit and my little guy was born 4 days later.  He was 2lb. and 3 ounces.  He staid at Vanderbilit for 2 months and then he came home at Christmas.  We were so happy, he had oxygen and a heart monitor but he was perfect.  Now he is healthy and strong the only thing is that he has asthma.  Life is good.

Anete
by on Nov. 21, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Hi. I'm Deb. My son Tyler was born @ 27 weeks. It was Easter Sunday and my husband and I had been to both our mom's homes. I had been having some aches and pains in my back most of the day. As the day went on the pain was getting worse. I finally called the Dr. and she said to meet her @ the hospital. By the time that we got to the hospital I had started to bleed, then my water broke.  The Dr said that the baby was in distress & I couldn't deliver him."   So Tyler was born at 11:25 pm @ 2 lbs, 2 ozs. The small Nicu @ the hospital wasn't equipped of a baby that small so he had to be transported to a bigger hospital. The transport team brought my son to see me before they took him. I reasched out to touch his hand and the transport nurse yelled at me. She said " Don't touch him it hurts him." Well that hurt me! I didn't get to see my son again for a week as the hospital was 2 hrs away and I wasn't allowed to ride for that long. Tyler' neonatalogist asked if Tyler could be put in a blind study for an experimental drug for growth development in preemies. Tyler was in the hospital for 2 months, and came home 1 month before his actual due date. I took my son back to the hospital for his 2 yr check up and was told that he was given a placebo. He didn't get the drug! He will be 5 in April, and you would never know that he had such a tough start.

upintrees
by on Nov. 26, 2007 at 5:54 AM
My name is Kelli.  I have 3 kids ages 7, 4, and 5 months.  My oldest 2 were preemies.

My son was born at 33 weeks weighing 3 pounds and 13 ounces.  I delivered him vaginally and I remember a few hours after delivery the pediatrician telling me he had to be "lifeflighted" to a hospital with a high level NICU.  He had RDS and his lungs were failing despite the initial dose of surfacant they gave him.  They transported him to a childdren's hospital nearby and I stayed at the Ronald McDonald house while he was getting better.  His PDA valve also was not closed so that had to be repaired.  Thankfully he was only on a respirator for just 2 days. He is now 7.  I had preeclampsia with Caleb and was on beddrest for 1/3 of my pregnancy, since this is a preemie forum and about the babes, I won't go into more detail on my end about the pregnancy.

My daughter Olivia was a surprise.  The pregnancy was fine, no complications.  I worked at a highly emotionally draining job working at a group home and my hubbie and I were having or starting to have marital problems.  All of the sudden, at 28 weeks on a nnight before I was supposed to drop hubby off at airport for a trip, I started having back pains.  I took 2 tylenol and then realized "Oh my god, they are regular"  By the time I realized this I was having contractins 5 mins apart.  The hospital was literally a block away so I left my hubby and son at the house and drove myself to the hospital.  Sure enough I was in labor and progressing fast!  Not only that, Olivia was transverse.  I had the same OB I had with Caleb.  She was extremely worried and they got an ambulance out this time to transport me to a hospital with a higher level NICU.  On the way of being wheeled out I remember her saying "Please do not have any more children".  I was terrified!
They stopped my labor for 24 hours and then I went into full fledged labor again.  The perinatologist initially dismissed the nurse when I was in labor again and said it was because I was tired and instructed her to give me Ambien. Obviously that wasn't the case and by the time he got there, he checked me and I was whisked off to surgery since there is no other way to deliver a transverse presentation.  Olivia was born without lingering complications weighing 3 pounds 2 ounces...huge for a 28 weeker!

Lastly I gave birth to Isabella this past June.  She was full term and weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces.  I truly did not think it would happen.  I got monthly shots of progesterone that were supposed to help and I suppose that did the trick.
kaymarie02
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM
My preemie is almost 5.  She weighed 5lb15oz and was 18.5 inches.  She was in NICU for 6 days and then we brought her home with an apnea machine.  She couldn't maintain her own body temp, was fed with a syringe for the first 36hrs because of no suckling reflex.  I spotted for the first few weeks of my pregnancy and had my gallbladder removed at 20 weeks.  At 35 weeks my water broke and she was delivered emergency c-section.  She definitely our little miracle and thank God every day for her.
Disneymom816
by Member on Nov. 29, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Hello everyone. My name is Stacy, I am married to to my wonderful husband, Patrick. Together we have 5 children ages 13, 12, 10, 4 and our preemie, Hannah.

Hannah was born at 28 weeks due to my preeclampsia and hellp. She weighed 2lbs 6oz and 14 inches long. She stayed 67 days in the NICU. She is now 4 months old (2 months adjusted) and weighs 9 lbs 6oz

Melissa0216
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2007 at 8:37 AM
Hey everyone!!! I'm a little early, still pregnant, but since I have to be delivered at 35 weeks I thought i'd come on and introduce myself.  I already have a son, Rylan Tyree, 28 months old and our second is not due until the end of January but will be delivering in less than three weeks now!  My body has been Kell sensitized and I am attacking my unborn son, McKade Mikol's red blood cells causing severe anemia.  Therefore he needs to be delivered at 35 weeks.  I am soooo scared!!!!  My husband and I have been married for just over two years and were so excited to be bringing another boy into this world, now if only we can get through the year!!!
cabyrum
by Member on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM
I'm Courtney, 31. My daughter Brianna (27 months) is my preemie. She was born at 29 weeks (or 28 and 6 days according to OB). She was born after I spent 2.5 weeks in the hospital on mag sulfate to try to stop preterm labor. She weighed 3 lbs 1 oz and was 16.5 inches long.

She spent 45 days in the NICU and came home free of all monitors and O2. Nowadays you could never tell she was a preemie as she tops the scale at 30-31 lbs and is 35-36 inches tall.

Logan was my full term baby - but he put me through the 2.5 weeks in the hospital (exact same number of days even) on mag sulfate from 32.5-35 weeks. I was then able to go home and my water broke at 37.5 weeks.

Brianna's main issues in the NICU were a 'minor' bout with NEC, feeding intolerances, and c-difficile infection. Other than that she did really well and has NEVER been sick since she's been home!!!
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN