Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I noticed that we don't have a place to introduce ourselves... so here we are!

I'm Jess, 25.  My son Evan is my preemie.  He was born at 34 weeks 6 days (so we normally just go with 35 weeks).  The whole pregnancy was plagued with problems: Hypermesis gravidum, complete placental previa until 34 weeks, an incompetent cervix, too much amniotic fluid, as well as preterm labor starting at 32 weeks.  His birth was extremely sudden... I wasn't dialated at all at 11 pm, and he was born at 4:34 am.  I didn't even know I was in labor until 8 minutes before he was born.  I ended up also having a placental abruption and the cord was around his neck multiple times.
I also have another child, a daughter named Natalie (she's 2 months today)... she was born at 38 weeks, so she's my "healthy" child...
There's a lot to the story of Evan's NICU stay, but I won't get into that now.

I'm your group admin (Donna is the group owner), so if you ever have a problem, just let me know!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

by on Sep. 20, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
YourMaya
by on Dec. 16, 2007 at 7:36 PM
My name is Dawn and my preemie was just born on friday.

I'll edit with a more in depth introduction when I'm feeling a bit better... maybe even when my son comes home from the NICU.
We are more than just the sum of our parts.
agjsmommy
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2007 at 8:47 PM
Hi Ladies! My name is Patricia. I had my twin girls at 34 weeks after several bouts of preterm labor, steroid shots and 6 shots of terbutaline to try to stop my contractions. I was also diagnosed with partial placenta previa during my 2nd tri.  After 24 hours of labor, I delivered my girls via c-section and they stayed in the NICU for 8 days due to feeding and temp issues. They were 4.4 and 4.11 lbs. I had lots of adhesions and scar tissue and ended up bleeding so much that they had to tranfuse me with 3 units of blood. I also lost my left ovary during the ordeal, my spinal wore off during surgery and they knocked me out with a general.

I also have a 3 year-old son born in 2004, also by c-section at 40 weeks, 2 days with a slight case of jaundice. The girls are 13 weeks and are doing great!
LadyLeo0806
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2007 at 11:57 PM
Hello ladies, Im LaToya. Chance is my preemie & was delivered at 33 weeks on March 10, 2007. This was my first pregnancy & was extremely rough. I suffered from lupus, extremely bad asthma & pericarditis. My little bundled decided that he was ready to enter the world on the day of our babyshower, which was all the way in Miami & we were in Atlanta. Long story short, he came via c-section @ 11:37 p.m. & we got a make shift shower in the hospital.
Then     Now      

lorichadwick
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Hello,
My name is Lori and my preemie miracle is Ashley Anne who was born on the 21st of December of 2007 she was 33 1/2 weeks, she weighed only 4.6 lbs and was 19 inches long. All she needed help was with her lungs for 2 days. Now we are waiting for her to keep her own body heat.

sweetjuliana
by Member on Jan. 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Wow! You and I sound like parallel mommies! I have Aidan almost four now, my little 29 weeker. We spent exactly 49 days in the NICU in Childrens Hospital of Buffalo. He was a chunker (or so they said) 3lbs 3oz. I was told that is large for a baby that missed almost a whole trimester. He did the whole EI thing and now is in a preschool program with children with special needs and regular kids too. Aidan still gets OT and speech and we are working towards PT again as he d/c it before school started.
I cant believe how far he has come and wonder what the future holds. You must be giddy knowing he is in a regular Kindergarden. AWESOME!
Thank you for the inspiring story!
Kelly from Buffalo NY
anscornish
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:25 AM
Hi! My name is Sarah and I am married with a beautiful 15 month old little girl. My family has been through SO much with Haley being born at 26 weeks weighing 2lbs 0oz. She had a long and rough nicu course having the pda surgery and getting bacterial megningitis in the recovery. She is very healthy now, surpassing all the medical set-backs. She is my MIRACLE BABY! Im so glad to have found this group! Its going to be wonderful to have moms that can relate. Having a preemie just dosnt end when you take them hope. For us its been one challenge after another.
hadams4nall
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Hello my name is Heather my son Jordan was born at 28 weeks. He spent a whopping 45 days in the NICU wich was the worst time of my life. I lost his twin at 21 weeks causing my body to reject the pregnancy by 28 weeks. I went to the doctor at 9 and he was taken by emergency c section at 945 am. Leaving a lovely vertical scar. He is 2yrs old and very stubborn, we are so lucky to have him though.
SarahNEmilysMom
by Member on Jan. 17, 2008 at 5:28 PM
My name is Assunda. My preemie is Sarah who was born @ 35 weeks. My water broke when I was 16 weeks I went to the ER & was told that everything was fine & then during a routine ultrasound (which I had to ask for) they found I had no fluid. I was admitted into antipartum @ 26 weeks and stayed on bed rest ( I also had the 2 steroid shots) until I signed my self out AMA @ 30 weeks. I was home for another 5 weeks started having contractions went to the hospital & they did an emergency (non scheduled c section). I knew I would be having her C Section because she was breech my whole pregnancy. When Sarah was born she was 5lbs 5 oz 17 inches originally they told me she was fine maybe some hip dysplacia however while my hubby was in the nursery (I  was in recovery) while they were giving her her first bath they noticed her breathing was labored. She was immediately transferred to the Children's Hospital of Orange County (which was across the street from where I delivered) and they discovered that she had a pnuemothorax in her lower right lung (lung collapse) along with bi - lateral hip dysplacia. She was put in a harness that made her look like a little froggie & put under an oxihood for 24 hours. She recovered on her own not requiring any surgeries & was on room air. She stayed in the NICU for a total of 10 days & came home :)
TwoBoysToLove
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM
My first son, Nicholas Alexander was born at 38 weeks with no problems. I basically had the perfect pregnancy. The only problem with the labor was I had to have an emergency C-Section due to fetal distress. He came out a healthy 7lbs, 2oz!

Cameron was a little different. That pregnancy was the COMPLETE opposite of Nicholas. You name it, I'm sure I went through it. One day at work (I was 35 weeks) I was cramping really bad. It felt like I was about to start my period. I took it as working too hard and being on my feet all day so when I got off work I came home to rest to see if it would stop. Well it didn't so I called my doctor and he told me to come in to see what was going on. We dropped our son off at the grandparents and headed up to the hospital. They hooked me up and noticed I was having strong contractions very frequently, so they game me a pill (Can't remember the name for anything!) to stop the contractions. Didn't do anything, so they gave me a shot (once again I can't remember the name) still didn't stop them. The doctor said that since they couldn't stop the contractions and I was completely closed and not dilated and it wasn't safe for me to have all that pressure from the contractions on my previous C-Section scar that they would have to do a C-Section within the hour. I freaked out!! They told me about everything that could be wrong with him and what to expect which made me freak out even more. So he was born at 35 weeks (6lbs, 11oz, which they said made for a speeder recovery) and spent 9 days in the NICU for under-developed lungs and fluid in them. Now is is perfectly healthy!

Andilyn23
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM
My  My name is Andi, and I am 23 years old.  My three year old daughter is a 24 week preemie.  I was a work and the next thing I know I am being rushed an hour away to a better hospital for preemies because I was going to to be on bed rest till I delivered.  I was fully dilated by the time we got there.  I was on bed rest and flipped upside down for three days before I delivered.  She came out crying which surprised us all!  She was born at 1 pound 6 ounces, and 12 inches tall.   We were in the NICU for 6 months.  She was having unexplained coding.  She would just stop breathing and no one could give us an answer why.  She was vented over 11 times during that 6 month period.  She had heart surgery at 21 days old and eye surgery at about 3 months old.  She also would not eat formula.  So we were in the hospital for a LONG time just working on her feedings.  Since we came home from the hospital she has been perfect.  She has no long term problems and she is right on track with kids her age.  She starts preschool in Sept.  So every one should know that miracles do happen!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN