Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age ....

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

Will you/ did you get your kids a cell phone? My dds are 7 and 9 and they have both already asked for one because some of their friends have cell phones. But I think they are both still too young to need one. They have a hard time keeping up with their toys much less a cell phone! Anyway they don't go anywhere without an adult ( usually me! )

on phone

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Vamadia
by CrazyTater on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Well, my oldest got his first cell at 15, just a cheap prepaid phone for him to call me if he had to stay after school.  He used up all his minutes texting so I wouldn't buy him anymore minutes.  I told him if he wanted minutes he would have to earn money to buy them.  He never did try to earn money for minutes and hasn't used the phone since.  He will turn 17 next week and I will be getting him a new phone.  He is more responsible now and I think he would use it more wisely this time.

Now, Edward, my 9 almost 10 year old is asking for one. I told him he could have one when he is about 13 or 14, but he was going to have to show me he was responsible enough to keep up with it and use it.  And his too will be a cheap prepaid phone.  I may make him wait until his first year in high school.  I have already told him I don't care how many of his friends have them, their parents obviously have money to throw away, we don't.

gregory2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I got my first cell at 13. When my kids are that age, I will invest in a cell phone. However, it will have limitations on it. It will primarily just for calling me and 911. They will go with their dad, and I want them to have a way to call me if need be. It wont be for "fun" purposes.

crazymomof2374
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM

My DD got her first one at 15. My sons are 16 and 13 and they got their first one when they were 14 and 11.  It was so I could always know where they  were at when they left the house.

3fabulous
by Hot Group Owner! on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I agree with what you all are saying. Between 13 and 15 is probably when I will get my girls a phone and it won't be just for fun and texting friends, it will be for calling me and emergencies. Also I like the idea of getting a prepaid phone for them that way they realize the phone isn't FREE and it will run out of minutes if they use it too much.

Barbiedip
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Maybe it's too early for me to say, since I only have a baby, BUT I would imagine that, if by your kids' age i still feel the way I do now about it, they would definitely not have one! Not at least until teenagerhood! Why would kids that age need one?

3fabulous
by Hot Group Owner! on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I wonder the same thing when I see kids that are my kids age with iphones ! Yes I have seen 9 year olds with iphones lol. I don't even have an iphone I can't imagine why a parent would think their 4th grader needed one... But I guess everyone is different.

Quoting Barbiedip:

Maybe it's too early for me to say, since I only have a baby, BUT I would imagine that, if by your kids' age i still feel the way I do now about it, they would definitely not have one! Not at least until teenagerhood! Why would kids that age need one?

Vamadia
by CrazyTater on Aug. 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Like I said, they have more money to throw away than we do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)