Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early On Program

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 199 Total Views

Hello all, my 18 month old was just referred by his pediatrician to the State of Michigan Early On Program, because he isn't talking yet (babbles, gestures, etc., just no words).  The Dr. says it's a good program and that he hasn't had any complaints from other parents whose kids have used it.  I'm just curious if anyone in this group has any experience with this program, I'm curious to hear thoughts on it!

Thanks!

Amanda

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oliver24
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

My son was put in early on when he was 2 because he stopped talking and interacting with people. They eventually said he was autistic. Anyway...early on, they were wonderful. Everyone was kind and went out of their was to make sure my son got the help he needs. It is a wonderful program.

Huntersmom9905
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Hello,yes i do have experience with the Early ON Program. My son has Down Syndrome and he has been with them since he was about 7 months old. Here where i live in my county all the therapist we have are great!My son has had O.T., P.T., S.T. through early on in the home base program, they usually do this until they turn 3 and then they transition to the in class program. My son also attends the parent child learning group 1x a week on top of his in home therapies. I think its a very good program and would recommened it to anybody!
jessi_andrew
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I have not had the best experince so far with early on, but not the worst either. I began in November with the process at that time my son was 14mo. and alot of his skills were at 8-10 mo...the first person who came to the house...quit...i was assigned a new worker who came to my house once to go over his first eval with them...she quit...now it's Jan. and I'm on my third worker and my son who is now 16mo still has not recieved any help. I am set up with my new worker to visit the second week of Feb., but again it will just be for her to talk to us as a family and not work with Andrew and that appt. is only made because i called them. They referred us to Project FIND because he is not walking and is delayed in so many areas...they called before the schools went on christmas break to touch base with me and said that they would call again after christmas break to set up an eval with them (Project FIND) again, I finally have a time set up with them, but it's because I called them. Everyone I've worked with has been really nice...I just have yet to see how their early intervention strategy works when I haven't gotten any help with my son yet.

momof4treasures
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Love it, Love it.  My two youngest have been involved with our local ISD and the EArly On program.  My youngest was a 30 week premie and at his last visit to Sparrows developmental clinic, they could not believe how much progress he has made.  The early on program was very instrumental in that progress.  We use the Wexford/Missaukee county program.  Don' be shy about expressing our concerns, they will work with you.  Wishing you the best.

Lisa

www.TheNextFamilyHome.com
lovinmystar
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about our experience with Early On. They sent a nurse from the health department to do monthly checks on my daughter from the time she left the hospital at three months old. She started going to speech, occupational, and physical therapy through MIPP when she was two years old. She just transitioned out of Early On so she could attend an early childhood special education preschool through our school district. They did all the work. We would have been lost without their services.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)