Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group, but well-informed cleft mommy and sister

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 172 Total Views
hi!
my name is nicole and i am the mother of a 15 month old son evan.  he has a single cleft lip and had it repaired last november.  they did an amazing job!  you can hardly tell!
clefts are a big trend in my family.  my son is thrid generation.  i had an uncle with it and he passed on at a very young age. (they didnt have all the amazing information and tools that they have now)  i also grew up with my sister having surgeries every other year (or it seemed as a kid).  she had a cleft lip and palate and she had a total of 7 surgeries.  she's 22 now and beautiful and successful and i am so proud of her!

my son only had the cleft lip and only needs one more surgery when he's hits elementary school.  so the trend seems to be getting better.  maybe the next generation wont have any clefting at all!  they say that clefting is only 30% hereditary but i think its far more than than that in my family!

i am here to learn even more and help others with any knowledge i have to help.  i know that feeling when you hand your 4 month old baby to the surgeon and then sit in that waiting room for hours.  it feels like theres a huge steel weight in the pit of your stomach!  i may be able to help you with your other children as well if they are having a difficulty understanding.  i was that other child!
lets chat!

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kimrun
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Welcome to the group! My son has a unilateral incomplete CL. He had it repaired in April when he was 10 months old. We are now looking at scar revision surgery sometime on the near future. And my guess is that he will have to have a touch-up later also. Looking forward to getting to know you! Welcome again!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

army_mommy8
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 8:29 AM
your family is cute!  its funny to see his cute little teeth after surgery!  my son didnt get any teeth until after he was a year so he only has three now!  im going to try and get some pics up of my son during his surgery.  he had it right before thanksgiving so he still has silicone strips in all of his christmas photos!  its so cute, he has so much character but unless you knew what a cleft was- youd never know he had one now!  the technology has improved just in the last ten years!  my sister still has scars, and the chances of eliminating them now are slim.
Kimrun
by Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Thanks! Yeah, Garrett started getting teeth at 6 months. Now he has 8. My youngest nephew also didn't get teeth until he was about a year. Every kid is different! We didn't have the silicon strips, how did they work for you? We are using the gel, but he keeps rubbing it off. I may have to ask the surgeon about that instead. But he might be too old for the strips and keep pulling them off, I don't know. Anyway, any input you have would be very helpful! Thanks!

Kimrun
by Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 6:44 PM
I looked at your son's picture and you can't tell that he had a cleft lip! It is amazing what can be done now. Someday, I hope that Garrett looks like that too. Right now, people think that he has fallen and hurt himself. I just say no, he had surgery and they usually don't say anything else. I think it is too funny!

army_mommy8
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 8:29 PM
my son was 7 months when he had the surgery and he didnt really take the strips off.  he wouldnt hold still to put them on though so i waited til he fell asleep!

i havent posted any pics of my sons surgery and stictches and stuff but yeah, they did an amazing job! thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)