Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work Life Balance During the Summer Months

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 820 Total Views

Hello everyone!

I am a full-time Virtual Assistant who works primarily from home. This summer is the first time I will be working from home with my kids at home as well. This is new and a little tricky. So far it has been pretty seamless, but the summer vacation is just starting!

I could use some thoughts and insight from other WAHM's who don't utilize daycare during the summer months. I look forward to hearing from you!

Queen of the Kingdom of Tired: That's me.I am full time-working-committed volunteer-wanna-have-my-own-business-slightly-OCD me. Parenting is the best gig in the world and Team Family is #1. http://franticmommy.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ChristinaAtHome
by Group Admin on Jun. 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

This is a fun one and one that I think we ALL struggle with at some point. I have a 9mth old, 2yr old and 4yr old so I REALLY struggle at times. I actually just had a little pow wow with my mentor this morning and she gave me a few really good tips, some I was already doing and some that I can't wait to implement.

1) Let the kiddos have free time and run around and let out their energy for a few hours in the begining of the day. This will tire them if they are Nap age. During this time you can be doing online things that don't require you to be on the phone

2)Utilize quite time to the FULLEST and be doing what creates results which is gettin gon the phone and creating/opening up those relationships. IF your kids are nap age then this would be your quite time if they aren't let them know that they need to lay down on the couch and watch a movie to relax and be still for a little while. I always tell my kiddos "You just need to lay still and as soon as the movie is over you can get up". Knowing there is an end in sight makes mine sit still hehehe...

3)After nap/quite time give them something to occupy them. Maybe coloring things, a puzzle, some play doh, have them play in a play room, etc....Give them options.

4)Be sure they know that you are working for THEM. Have a reward in site for them. My kiddos know that right now mommy is working hard towards our Disney trip in Sept so when they get crazy I remind them of that. So pick somthing and remind them that you are working towards that for them

5)When they start to have melt down time, get wild and crazy, or just want to drive you nuts remind them that they have 2 options and choices to make. #1 is the GOOD choice(doing what you are asking them) and ends in GOOD things and #2 is the BAD choice(continuing to disobey) and ends in time out or the corner. When you give them the options be sure they are understanding, I have my girl repeat what I am telling them. After a few weeks it will catch on and be easier.

Well that's a few tips, hope it helped some :)

Dream~Believe~Achieve

Christina Dennis
Changing people's lives 90 days at a time...Are YOU up for a Challenge?
http://www.transformyourlifein90.com/

Join me on Facebook for Motivation, Tips & Support CLICK HERE

wesbrand96
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Hello!

I am in the same boat with you this summer. I have a full time job as a remote employee that requires me to be busy at times on the phone. This spring I deliverd my 3rd baby girl and my husband and I decided we would save so much if we kept all our girls home with me this summer. I have a 10, 5 and 3 month old. Finding ways to keep them happy, busy and quiet at times is THE hardest jobs I have ever had to do. I would love ideas that others have on how to make this a fun summer for all of us!

queenkai
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Are your kids old enough for summer activities, I would sign them up for tennis, soccer, baseball, anything I could drop them off at for at least a few hours each day to be able to have some quiet time.  My kids are signed up for everything and I also have memberships to all the museums and things and I have my mom take them once or twice a months so that I get a day I know they are having fun and spending time with family and it doesn't cost me anything.  Also I would suggest keeping a schedule for them during the summer so that they know when work time begins and ends this way its the same everyday and they get use to it.  We just had to change up my schedule for a new job and I started it right away so they can be accustomed to it before my training starts.

Mom to Shonn 20, Zoe 16, Lily 7, Laila 5, Laurelei 3, Logan 1 and wife to Raymond

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN