Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 356 Total Views

I currently do 2 different childrens book business. They are a personalized childrens book business and the other is Usborne Books.

I'm finding it really hard to run both book businesses at the same time. What criteria should I use to eliminate one of the book businesses?

If you were a customer, which business would you buy from and why?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mgtnlm
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

You may be able to do both still, just figure out how to manage your time between both evenly without having to compromise yourself nor your family. Books are amazing for everyone of all ages, but with everything becoming digital nowadays, it may be a good idea to look into something more recession resistant. That way you have a reliable plan B in case the economy gets even worse than it already is. I envy you, because you have the guts to work in an area that may become obsolete in the near future! There should be more like you out there.......don't give up! If you ever find yourself looking for something recession resistant or a plan B, pm me and I can help you out! Go with your passion, and follow your heart!

Supermum311
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can consider how much time and effort it takes to run each business and how much $ invested in each one in order to determine which to elimate.  Also think about sales, which is producing the most income and has the potential to go far with in the future.  Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Feltzfelt
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea of personalized books! Kids love seeing themselves in a story.

extremelibrary
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

That's the funny thing about it. I gotten more sales from the personalized books than from Usborne. :)

Quoting Feltzfelt:

I like the idea of personalized books! Kids love seeing themselves in a story.

Amtwirls
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Personalized... 

Look up Molly the Majorette on google & read the history behind the book.  True stories... It's cool .  Kids like identifying w something they do or like

Caroldoesnails
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go with the book company that you are the most passionate about.  That is the one you will see the best sales from and be the most successful with.  Personally, I like the personalized books. I still remember the birthday record that had my name in it. :) 

I  Jamberry Nails.
I do my nails with hairdryer. How do you do yours? 
My Facebook Fan Page, Request a free sample

Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
yup

Quoting Supermum311:

Maybe you can consider how much time and effort it takes to run each business and how much $ invested in each one in order to determine which to elimate.  Also think about sales, which is producing the most income and has the potential to go far with in the future.  Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The main thing would be the income potential. Which one can you make more with? Which one sells better? Which has the most growth potential? 

extremelibrary
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM

So far I made more with the personalized books. There's less personalized books(close to  40 personalized childrens books). Usborne has close to 1,400 books from newborn to teens.

Quoting ZanderandBella:

The main thing would be the income potential. Which one can you make more with? Which one sells better? Which has the most growth potential? 

ZanderandBella
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have made more with the personalized books, I'd stick with that. Sometimes having more isn't best. It's easy to remember 40 book names rather than 1,400 KWIM? You can give people more of a personalized experience as well when you know the details of your products including names or authors and so on. 

Quoting extremelibrary:

So far I made more with the personalized books. There's less personalized books(close to  40 personalized childrens books). Usborne has close to 1,400 books from newborn to teens.

Quoting ZanderandBella:

Heather- Air Force Wife, Mom of two, WAHM with It Works! Global~ The Body wrap company
There are people that will tell you that you can't do it. They will even try to hold you back. However, it only means THEY can't do it. You can do anything you set your mind to and are willing to work hard to get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)