Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gDiapers with cloth... how to's, where at's, and much much more...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 936 Total Views
Okay mommies, since I see a TON of posts about how you made your cloth inserts, where you bought them, what worked for you and what didn't, lets make one big post with all sorts of info from you mums... on g's and cloth.

post pictures, instructions, links, and anything else... raves and rants as well, let it all out!

we want to know when you use cloth... all the time or only at home... how do you keep them clean, stripping cloth, making inserts, night time or doubler inserts? do you use wet bags when out, ANYTHING to do with cloth goes here! LOL!

thanks in advance to everyone for their input....

PROUD OWNER OF...
coupon/check trades and giveaways... come check out what new coupons are posted today! Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers, the best alternative to cloth for the environment. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/26255

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh.  A group to share information, stories, successes and disappointments, and other information related to having a child with ddh.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jsackman
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:38 AM

www.cottonwoodbabies.com for the inserts specifically made for g's.  I'm not crafty so that was my best option.  They made my first try at cloth diapering so easy I'll never go back.  We have 10 covers and 18 inserts which equates to about 3 days of diapers for my son.  Not having to wash the covers really helps on the laundry load.  We use cloth in the daytime except at nap & bedtime because he is a heavy wetter and the cloth gets bunched up (just like the flushies) when wet.  I'm afraid of leakage.  About twice a week I wash them with 1/4 cup detergent & hot water.  www.diaperjungle.com has all the different detergents & how the work with cloth diapers.  I do a double rinse to make sure the detergent is washed out and then dry them on hot until dry.  I've had absolutely no stains.  I am about to strip for the first time & I've been using them for 2 months now.  I used Beaudreaux's Butt Paste & then read not to use it on cloth because it creates a film on the diaper.  OOPS.  I use Planetwise wetbags while out and have had no issues with smell or leakage.  You can google them and different websites carry them. 

That's about it!

WldHrts
by on Jul. 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I've just recently gone the way of Gdiapers and I've been stuffing them with gerbers prefolds.  I take one and double up just in the wet zone.  Then I line it with a rice paper.  At night I only use the prefold and then I put a microfiber fleece doubler on the very top.  As for washing I'm still trying to figure that all out b/c we've been having smell issues.  I'm not sure if it's the type of prefold I'm using or what. 

airmansgrrl
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I have a couple different things that we are using, i have some DSQ prefolds i bought used on ebay, some of the inserts from cottonwoodbaby, and i just bought some momma made inserts off of ebay, but i haven't gotten those ones yet. I have about 10 pants, and so far 18 prefolds and inserts, but after i get my new ones i will have 38 all together. Right now i only use cloth during the day..i'm working up the nerve to try them at night too. I wash every other day with 1/4 the normal amount of detergent i would use washing clothes, and i use the 7th gen. free and clear stuff. I do a cold rinse to start, then do a regular wash on hot and then off to the dryer with a dryer ball. Every once in a while i will put the prefolds out in the sun after the wash to get any stains out, and then finish off in the dryer to fluff them up.

Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I made a few cloth inserts for my dd's size smalls.  Here's a pic of the 4 that turned out okay (the way they work, not look):

I used several layers of bamboo french terry, and two are topped with marigold microfleece.  They are a little stiff, so they don't contain poo very well (it always gets the liner dirty and usually the cover too).  For the next round I will use a more flexible, less thick fabric, and I will def. use microfleece!  It is awesome!  It keeps the baby dry, plus it doesn't stain!  I made a trifold insert that works the best and fits the best, but don't have a pic. You can imagine it tho, right?  I used the same materials.  It dries much faster than the others. 

BLOW OUT SALE!  GOING ON NOW!  

barbieshannon
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

i just started with gcloth and they have not reached their full absorbancy yet. They gain absorbancy with each wash. I only use them at home because the liner ALWAYS get wet along with the gpants.  I am not giving up.  I love gdiapers and I will not switch.

barbieshannon
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

fyi...seventh generation is not an approved diaper detergent. you will get buildup and a smell and they will start to cause a rash and lose their absorbancy

LJC6780
by Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM

bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)