Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

here's one for ya

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 9:43 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 573 Total Views
I'm starting to think that my dh doesn't know how to be anything but disney dad...

Breif description of my situation:  Dh works days I work nights to avoid daycare (and I get paid 8% more at my company for working nights).  I get up with my kids and do this half awake thing in the morning, chugging coffee at 6 am trying to stay awake.  Some mornings, my 2 and 3 year old get up before I hear them and get into some serious trouble (one morning they covered my living room in poo, another they broke into thier older sisters room and covered everything she owns in lotion, luckily she comes over EOW and I had plenty of time to clean it up).  I've baby proofed my home to no end, putting chemicals on the shelf above the stairs to the basement, with a big lock on the basement door.  I get up when my dh goes to work and chain lock the door so they can't go outside (at like 5 am).  I have every gate, safty plug, stoppers for windows, fridge locks, and any other babyproof item sold at toys-r-us.

Now, my daughter, who's 3, is the mastermind.  She's usually the one to get the peanutbutter jar open and paint her brother with it.

Recently, my husband taught my daughter how to get coolwhip out of the can.  i'm sure some of you already see where this is going. 

I got up at 7 am with my kids today.  I had made fruit salad last night and went to put just a dab of whip cream on it for thier breakfast and there was a can full of whip cream, with nothing coming out.  I asked who was trying to get whip cream out, and my 3 year old said, "me, bit it's broken"  My 3 year old did a can of whip its this morning because my husband has to be the cool dad and, against my wishes, teach her these horrible habits.  She could be dead!  I'm freaking out right now, and it's been 2 hours since I found out and I'm still raging mad.  He better hope he doesn't call. 

He always does this to me!  Everytime I tell him that he can't teach them something, or that if he doesn't baby proof something, he laughs at me, or tells me I worry to much, then I have a 2 year old wondering my driveway at 6am because he refused to put a chain lock on the door.  Then, of course, it's my fault because I didn't get up on 4 hours sleep when they snuck out of thier room (which he fixed that freekin great, he cut the door in half and put a lock on it, now they just climb the door, so I have to leave it unlocked so they don't fall down the stairs, that he still hasn't put the gate on because my house is crooked and standard gates aren't working).  I'm fed up, I've been doing this with him for 2 years!  I NEED him to get a frucking clue before one of our kids kills themselves!  Is my husband a moron or is this all men?!

Here's the debate, am I wrong, or is he just going against me to be the cooler parent here?  I've seen him do it to bm when it comes to sd, but I was always under the assumtion that we are a team... (I've gotten a lot of crap from other groups telling me to put the smack down on my kids.  They are good kids, just very curious.  They usually wake me up, its the occasional morning that scares me.)

sPaZ

by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
blendeddee
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hi, Well first off you sound like you definitely have your hands full with these two little people! They sound like they have a very vivid imagination and smart as heck too! The things I remember when my kids were younger were the early morning findings, IE remote in toilet, eggs on the kitchen floor, my daughter covered in syrup and flour (try cleaning that one!) but the thing that worked best was for me was to not to get worked up about it! and believe me I did.. I rant i would huff and puff and believe it or not the kids loved the attention they were getting never mind that it was negative... it was attention.. My husband worked the typical 8-5 Monday thru Friday while I on the other hand worked when ever they needed me sometimes pulling 13-15 hours a day so I understand the kids waking up before you.. the front door issue I would put my foot down on... if he can't remember to put a chain on the door he needs to flip the bill for an alarm system that will wake you.. Also instead of all the child proof gadgets that are really "adult proof" b/c kids eventually figure them out maybe dad should step up some in the evening with "wearing" the kids out with activities so they don't spring up so early! even if its just an extra 30 min of sleeping its well worth the time you will save cleaning lotion or changing that diaper after a can of cool whip! Best of luck.. and it does get better.. but remember kids get into stuff and live, if you have done your job in keeping the real toxins away from them ... a crayon or two wont kill them! Trust me Mine have eaten worse! I have 2 in college now .. one in middle school and one in elem.. it does get easier:) 

judi111
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:13 AM

When I want to sleep longer, I have my 1 yo and 4 yo in the room with me with the door closed. They will have the TV on. I will have their snack and drinks in the room as well as diapers and wipes close by for my 1 yo.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)