• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is still getting to me

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM
  • 6 Replies

Two or three days ago I had to go the store. This store along with the rest of the stores is located on a main road no parking lots just parking paces up and down the street. I was coming out of the store and stopped in b/w parked cars to wait for the traffic to clear to cross. While I was waiting a mom was getting her dd out of the car. I would say her dd was no older than 5 but that doesn't really matter. The mom only turned for a second to shut the door when her dd started to cross the road almost getting creamed by an oncoming car. OMG that scared the shit out of me. I was frozen in fear. I wanted to scream Watch Out! but the only thing I could do was gasp. Thank God the mom turned around just in time to snatch her dd out of the way. I felt bad, like damn I saw the whole thing but couldn't move. Anyone else ever experienced something like that?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jennypinfargo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I was once on a busy interstate and and a car went to get over and didn't even look and hit my mini van.  We were pulled over along side the very busy interstate exchaning information and, my 5 year old daughter opened her van door (they are electric) I saw it open and I yelled for her to stay in the car but the traffic was loud and she did not hear me so I RAN over there and she jumped out of the van right as I got there but she was right on the edge of the interstate with cars flying by!! My husbands grandpa was in the van with the kids I was so mad at him for not saying anything to her and just letting her get out of the van.  Everything was all right but it could have been very bad and I was shaking and very upset about that...after that I didn't even care about the lady that hit my van!

ludviksmith
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM

In the face of danger, I freeze up. I hate myself for it, I like to think that I'd be right there saving someone if they needed saving, but when it comes right down to the moment, I'm frozen. For example, my DF was on crutches all this summer, and I just never felt that I was quick enough to catch him when he stumbled. I hate it. I'm pregnant with my first right now, and I truly hope some mom reflexes will start kicking in, cuz I just hate that I tend to freeze when I need to be quick...I hate it!

CafeMom Tickers

nurbabe82
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Quoting ludviksmith:

In the face of danger, I freeze up. I hate myself for it, I like to think that I'd be right there saving someone if they needed saving, but when it comes right down to the moment, I'm frozen. For example, my DF was on crutches all this summer, and I just never felt that I was quick enough to catch him when he stumbled. I hate it. I'm pregnant with my first right now, and I truly hope some mom reflexes will start kicking in, cuz I just hate that I tend to freeze when I need to be quick...I hate it!

you will definitely get some mommy reflexes. Sometimes they will work and others time they won't lol. Just like the mom in my post. I remember this one time me, dh, and ds(3) were down in the basement. I was on the computer, dh was cleaning up and ds was playing on the poker table. DS got a little to close to the edge of the table for my liking and I jumped up and reached for him, DH laughed at me saying he has never seen me move that quick before. That's why it bothered me I couldn't move when I say that little girl start walking into the street.

kamrynlily07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM

When my daughter was about 18 months old, she was sitting and playing on the floor in the living room while my husband and I watched tv.  All of a sudden she started choking on something.. she had this horrible look on her face and she wasnt passing air at all... I started screaming for my husband to do something, but I couldnt move.  Luckily he turned her upside down and dislodged whatever it was and she swallowed it.  (we think it was a coin).  I still feel so bad about that to this day.... especially since i am an RN and I know what to do, I just couldnt do it for my own child.

skylersmom44
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM

A couple of months ago, I was sitting here on the computer and my son was walking up the steps. He is 4. He stopped to turn around and tell me something and he lost his balance and fell off the side of our open stair case. I was only about 12 ft away but I couldn't get there fast enough and he fell and smashed is face into a table on the wall next to the staircase. We ended up going to the ER for stitches in his lip. I felt so bad that I saw the whole thing happen  but couldn't get to him fast enough. I will always remember the look on his face as he was falling. Poor kid.

nurbabe82
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quoting kamrynlily07:

When my daughter was about 18 months old, she was sitting and playing on the floor in the living room while my husband and I watched tv.  All of a sudden she started choking on something.. she had this horrible look on her face and she wasnt passing air at all... I started screaming for my husband to do something, but I couldnt move.  Luckily he turned her upside down and dislodged whatever it was and she swallowed it.  (we think it was a coin).  I still feel so bad about that to this day.... especially since i am an RN and I know what to do, I just couldnt do it for my own child.

I know what you mean. I am an LPN. When my son was a year old my friend was over with her one year old and they were eating those baby cookies the kind that are supposed to disolve. Well ds starts choking on it. My heart dropped. I looked at my friend like help. He was fine he was able to bring it up with no problem but still.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)