Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old was your kids when they learned the meaning of no?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

At what age did your kids understand what "no" means? My little one is one and every time I tell her no she laughs like I just said the funniest thing she has ever heard! Most the time is funny but others....ggrrr! PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh yeah, and she recently started putting her fingers in her mouth to gag herself. I've read that if you just redirect there attention they'll forget what there doing and that works till the next time she wants to get attention. I've tried taking her hand and holding it down for a few seconds, I've done the mean momma stare (you know just glare and say no in a real stern voice) I've smacked her hand.... and, nada, nothing works! please help!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM

They're 2 and 3, I'm still waiting for it to sink in... 

mamajo84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

lol, we were at the docs and I asked her nurse the same thing, he said his little boy is 4 and still don't know! :( I've also had people tell me their kiddos learned at 10 mom -1yr. (yeah right) I just hope she gets it soon!

I forgot to ask too, when did your kids stop wearing a bib? And when did you quit giving them formula?

Domzmom2005
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Understand the meaning of no...about 2-1/2...actually listen to it....I'll have to get back to you on that one...lol

baby

baby

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Quoting mamajo84:

lol, we were at the docs and I asked her nurse the same thing, he said his little boy is 4 and still don't know! :( I've also had people tell me their kiddos learned at 10 mom -1yr. (yeah right) I just hope she gets it soon!

I forgot to ask too, when did your kids stop wearing a bib? And when did you quit giving them formula?

I still sometimes put a bib on my 2 year old, she can make a mess out of bread lol.

They were both off formula at one.

mamajo84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Anyones kid ever did the gaging thing? If so how did you get them to stop?

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

My son is 17 months and he's understood it for a long time now.

Oh, & the gagging thing I've seen my boy do a few times.  His molars are all finishing up cutting at the same time and he's put his fingers back too far.  I just tell him to get his hands out of his mouth.  Is she cutting them too?  I was assuming that was why it was happening.  I've only noticed it about 3 times though.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

My oldest used to do it all the time. She made herself throw up once and never did it again.

Quoting mamajo84:

Anyones kid ever did the gaging thing? If so how did you get them to stop?

Cadance
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM

My daughter is almost 17 months and has also understood the word no for a long time.  She doesn't always like it she will cry for a min sometimes not very often but she does understand no.. 

Quoting Kisses4Henry:

My son is 17 months and he's understood it for a long time now.

Oh, & the gagging thing I've seen my boy do a few times.  His molars are all finishing up cutting at the same time and he's put his fingers back too far.  I just tell him to get his hands out of his mouth.  Is she cutting them too?  I was assuming that was why it was happening.  I've only noticed it about 3 times though.

Mommy to 3 very active boys and one little girl!!
KBix
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM

mine knows what it means...does he care what it means...doesnt seem like it.

mamajo84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM

she has 6-7 teeth but she gags herself when she is done eating and wants out of the high chair, or when she wakes up from a nap and is stuck in the playpen, pretty much if no one is paying attention to her. She has thrown up from it, last night I was outside smoking and my hubby was inside with the baby.... let me correct that, he was inside watching tv, when I came in she was playing in her throw up......  he heard her gaging, yelled at her, then apparently said fine just go ahead and do it, he told me she did it once more then quit... not knowing the last time she threw up. WHY DOES HE SEEM SO OBLIVIOUS TO THE PROBLEM WITH HER SOMETIMES????  AAaahh @$*#%^??

I was actually scared when I wrote I spanked her hand that I was gonna get crap for it, some of the replies Ive read are so mean and nasty. I thank yall for not judging me. !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)