Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

can you get more back in taxes than you paid in?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM
  • 23 Replies

i'm just curious because i didn't put much in at all but i did my taxes online and more than one site said i was getting A LOT back.  i just don't want to get too excited if it's not really going to happen!

by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM

It's called earned income credit. People with lower pay usually always get back way more then they paid in. 

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

cheekie1
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

yes you can. they go not only on the taxes you paid from your job, but also on property taxes, mortgage taxes, ect. we had my husbands taxes exempt most of the year, due to the slow down at his job, and a pay decrease thanks to the economy. we had to save all the money we could. we also just did our taxes, which have been approved, and got much more back then we paid, but i think it is fair, since for the last three years we paid a ton (think like 6-8 thousand dollars) so i am very excited to finally be getting some back :)

JenniL05
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Yes. There are all kinds of credits you can get from the EIC to buying new windows to even buying a "greener" car. The majority of what I am getting back is the EIC (Earned Income Credit) which we get for making less than $$ per year and having a child.

ariannasmom114
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

yea we got back way more than we paid in

ShireeCS
by Shiree on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

i put in like literally 58 dollars and im getting back 1200.

mlg87ok
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Yes, we got a lot back this year. The lady at Jackson-Hewitt told us its because of all the changes that have been made and all the new tax breaks and things they are doing this year.

PASSIONPATROL
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I just learned to 2day.. that we are not getting alot back because we in th"higher bracket" the more money u make the more ass out you are!! so we are assed out this year.. we are getting money back but nothing like we thought we were going to get.. hubby is bummed out!

cmb121906
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Quoting PASSIONPATROL:

I just learned to 2day.. that we are not getting alot back because we in th"higher bracket" the more money u make the more ass out you are!! so we are assed out this year.. we are getting money back but nothing like we thought we were going to get.. hubby is bummed out!

I hear you on that. We owe almost 5 grand. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

SweetPea05
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:57 PM

OH YAH! and we are getting WAAAAY more than expected yay!

WesAndNicksMom
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM

ok because i paid in $47 dollars and am getting back like $7000...  (i found out in september that work wasn't taking out federal taxes and i had it fixed but obviously there wasn't much left of the year then!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)