Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paragard anybody?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM
  • 28 Replies

So I just got Paragard because I was scared of the Mirena hormones. But after listening to my doctor, I am scared that my periods are going to be beasts when I get them again (breastfeeding, so I don't know when that will be).

What are yalls experiences? Anybody have Paragard?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celticreverie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM

still no period and I am nursing :( Sorry!

steph2884
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM

I got mirena because it contains hormones. My personal convictions about life keep me from getting Paragard. On the website it tells you how it works, though you have to dig around for it. If you know how it works and still want to get it that's just fine. Most doctors won't tell you how it works, at least mine didn't. Here's a bump for you!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
katznkt
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Yeah... I believe life happens when they connect and implant. Simply because I think that life supporting structures (like umbilical cords) don't form until then, and there are many reasons why an egg wouldn't implant.

It says that it kills the sperm and prevents them from attaching, so I am okay with it (though I am completely against abortion once it attaches).

I don't like hormonal because I am breastfeeding and pumping at work and I don't need anything interfering with my milk, and I don't like the idea of my period going away and taking an unknown amount of time to come back after removal.

But these are all of our choices, I just want to know peoples experience with it. :)

SweetPea05
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM

I have had both. Paragard I had insane periods so bad I had to have it itaken out it was literally about to iimplant in my uterus and perforate it. I have mirena now, and love it no periods and no issues. But everything affects people differently. Just listen to what your body is telling you!

steph2884
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I'm not a fan of the hormones, but I get pregnant VERY easy, and because my body is intollerant to estrogen bc, this is the only kind of hormonal bc I can have anyway! My bleeding hasn't went away though, I've had it for four months and I've had some form of bleeding, either heavy or spotting for most of the time, I can only dream of it going away! The Paragard is the best while breastfeeding though!

Quoting katznkt:

Yeah... I believe life happens when they connect and implant. Simply because I think that life supporting structures (like umbilical cords) don't form until then, and there are many reasons why an egg wouldn't implant.

It says that it kills the sperm and prevents them from attaching, so I am okay with it (though I am completely against abortion once it attaches).

I don't like hormonal because I am breastfeeding and pumping at work and I don't need anything interfering with my milk, and I don't like the idea of my period going away and taking an unknown amount of time to come back after removal.

But these are all of our choices, I just want to know peoples experience with it. :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
LiLbesos812
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Don't have personal experience but, my best friend had the paragard for about a year after she had her son and she kept having insane cramps, well turns out it perforated her uterus and she had to have emergency surgery to have a complete hysterectomy at the age of 27... Then the same friend went to the dr for a check up like 3 weeks later and her OBGYN that had a paragard herself and recommended them to all of her patients had it perforate her uterus, not as seriously as my friends but perforated all the same. Then, my other friend who had the Mirena was having crazy mood swings, massive wieght gain, just feeling unlike herself, so she went to have the Mirena removed because her OBGYN said that the hormones could be contributing to it, well, when they removed her Mirena it was actually a paragard... not saying that it was making her crazy, but it's seems a little strange. Good luck with that though, it freaks me out having something in my uterus, that's not a growing baby, of course :)

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I've never heard of it but here is a bump for ya : )

aidensema
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:52 AM

i have a good paraguard story, no horror here! i got it in dec2008, no problems since than. doesnt hurt, doesnt make heavier periods, i only get my period about every 3 months. im hoping to keep it as long as possible (which would be 10 years than it will be time for a new one!). i didnt want the pill becuase i would forget and get pregnant, something i dont want! this way i dont have to worry about a thing ever, except it has no hormones so my skin isnt as clear as it used to be, which is fine too, thats what make up is for

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I had paragard, and I hated it.  I didn't have real periods, I would spot once a week  (friday afternoons) and have the most horrible cramps while doing so.   The pain was unbelievable.

katznkt
by on Apr. 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Well... yall have made me feel soooo much better, *sarcasm* lol

I have been cramping and nauseous since they put it in with no period. Is that normal???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)