Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with the potty training thing please!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so I have a daughter that is 27 months old and I am having problems potty training her. I showed her that I got her big girl panties and she wanted them on so I took off her pull up and I let her wear her big girl panties. I asked her every like 20 mins baby do you have to go potty? "No mommy" Baby do you want to go potty? "No mommy". I am not sure what to do to get her to want to go potty or to tell me that she has to go potty.  I don't want to give her things like candy just to make her go potty that is not teaching her anything (I don't think) So if there is anyone out there that can help me with my problem that would be great.

Oh ya small detail---- she is with her father 50% of the time and he is not really working on it himself so I am not sure is that is going to make it harder for me?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jenn210830
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:42 PM

im going through the same thing as you but mines a boy and about to turn 3 i feel like ive tried everything but hes just not ready i guess plus we're gettin ready to move next week to another state so i think ill wait till after the hassle of this move is done with

DylansMom213
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

My son is nowhere near potty-training yet, but I did potty-train two little girls when I was a nanny a few years ago. What I did was put on the big girl panties, then put the pull-up over them, then their clothes. That way, if they went it didn't mess up  their clothes, and it also made them really feel the wetness of their panties. Well, it worked wonders...kids don't like to feel wet. Pull-ups absorb just like diapers and keep the wet away from the skin. It took a few weeks, but it worked!

She may also just not be ready yet...I'm sure it's frustrating for you, though! I read somewhere that a lot of kids are potty-training later and later, but I don't know if that's true or not. Good luck!

erikays
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

honestly with my son i tried EVERYTHING.. even him walking around the house pantless.. NOTHING. i finally gave up and wham! he did it..i think i was pressuring him too much and asking all the time. he went pee in the toilet with no problem but refused to poop. he was finally fully potty trained 3 months after his 3rd birthday! give her time shes probably not ready yet..i first started trying when he was 2.5 and i knew he wasnt ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying to Conceive Ticker

nemosmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM

i work at a daycare/school and i teach 2-3 year old so we are doing the potty training, we have successfully potty trained 10 kids in a 2 week time period. they did not all potty train the same way mind u. i would say first u and the father both have to be working with her (doing the same thing, children need consistency sp?)

one way we have done it was cold turkey: put underwear on her and take her to the bathroom every 10-15min, she needs to get use to at least sitting on the toilet,she will have lots of accidents but she will learn that she doesnt like the feeling of wet panties. also, have her sit on it 5-10 min after she drinks something.

second way we have tried it: underwear on and a pull up over it so she can feel the wet underwear on her skin,she will start to feel uncomfortable and learn that if she doesnt want wet panties then she needs to do her business in the toilet also continue to sit her on the toilet 10-15 min. or less.

it will get frustrating but she will get it, we never thought a couple of our children would ever be potty trained but as long as your always doing the same thing and her father is doing the same thing she will get the hang of it. also u can have her watch you go potty. and a very important thing " lots of praise" even if she didnt go but she sat on it!

mammag20
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Thanks for all of your replies!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)