Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any cosmetologists in the Group?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • 20 Replies

Or even Former cosmetologists? I am looking into going to school for Cosmetology and doing hair and such as a career... Its something that I really want to do... Nearly everyone says that I am going to hate my job and Make no money at it... but they have never been part of that field... So I wanted to come on here and ask some of you ladies...

What do you like about your work? What do you Not like? what was the best thing about schooling and what was the Worst? Overall would you recommend this as a career to someone?

Thanks for the Help ladies.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM

i did hair for 6 years. the hours suck, u have to work nights and weekends if u want to make money and even then most people dont make money, u would have to work shit cheap places to build up a book and hope those cheap people will even follow u to a better salon. its not the creative awesome job the schools make it out to be. to many people are set in their ways to even try something new. it does have room to get into the cooler end jobs like runways ect but most people never get there.

damnthedaisies1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I took cosmetology in highschool and got my license and did hairdressing for a while after.  If you love to do it, then I say do it.  As far as the money goes, you will most likely start out slow unless you find a really busy salon to work  at.  It takes time to build a clientele and get busy.  One thing is, the money is not steady.  There will be busy times where you will make great money and times when the money is barely there.  If you are the kind of person who is good with saving and budgeting you will be fine.  It is definately rewarding to be able to make people feel great about themselves.  If you have any more, more specific questions feel free to ask awway!!

Ladybugmama86
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I am in the process of getting my lisence back, when I moved i had trouble getting it transferred then it expired, so I'm getting it reinstated, but I love it, and unless you get in a good salon your really not going to make to much at first, but for me its the work, not the money.

alvord1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I am not looking for anything that will make mondo bucks.. Im looking for something I love to do... I feel at this point that everyone is trying to talk me out of it... As for the money I am looking for something to Help suppliment a little because DH is in the Military and he makes enough to support us...

CafeMom Tickers
hailnbray
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

i quit almost 3 yrs ago so the economy was sucking big time. i was working at a high end salon and bringing home maybe 800.00 a month plus tips. people are broke so getting ur hair done is the first thing to go. when i was busier i was bring home about 1500

alvord1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

would you have still kept going if the Economy didnt suck like that? Was it something that you enjoyed?

Quoting hailnbray:

i quit almost 3 yrs ago so the economy was sucking big time. i was working at a high end salon and bringing home maybe 800.00 a month plus tips. people are broke so getting ur hair done is the first thing to go. when i was busier i was bring home about 1500

CafeMom Tickers
hailnbray
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

i still would have quit. the hours i had to work took too much away from being a mom. There are times I enjoyed the job but more so then not it sucked. I got tired of dealing with really dumb people. it was more stressful then fun

Quoting alvord1:

would you have still kept going if the Economy didnt suck like that? Was it something that you enjoyed?

Quoting hailnbray:

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

akgraff
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM

i'm not cosmotologist but i think you should do it if your passionate about it. its not always about money its about happiness and making other people feel beautiful and good about themselves.. Those are the clients that will come back if they see your passionate and not just there for money.  Good luck to you my dear!

Ladybugmama86
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Its something you have to really enjoy I think, but me personally I cant wait until I can start doing hair again!! I loved it and was really upset when the salon I was working at closed. While I absolutely love doing hair some people don't it just depends.

Quoting alvord1:

I am not looking for anything that will make mondo bucks.. Im looking for something I love to do... I feel at this point that everyone is trying to talk me out of it... As for the money I am looking for something to Help suppliment a little because DH is in the Military and he makes enough to support us...

alvord1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Im glad that you enjoyed it! I used to do my mother's hair (when she was able to let me) and I have always been the one that does hair and makeup for my friends when we go somewhere... I love to do hair and the more I think about it the more I want to do it... I am just worried now because some people keep telling me that It does not pay and that I am making a horrible mistake and trying to make me change my mind... I thank all of you ladies for your Honest Opinions.

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Its something you have to really enjoy I think, but me personally I cant wait until I can start doing hair again!! I loved it and was really upset when the salon I was working at closed. While I absolutely love doing hair some people don't it just depends.

Quoting alvord1:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)