Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prego questions.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a couple of prego questions. I know this is my fourth and I should be well versed in all this, but for some reason I can never remember anything... except the discomfort. :)

Around when do you start to feel the baby kick? I can't tell if it's just little flutter movements from baby or just gas bubbles cause I typically only feel it after I've eaten.

According to everything I've read (I'm 20-21 weeks) I should have gained at least 10 pounds by now. I was healthy weight before hand and have only gained 5 pounds. Am I just lucky or should I be concerned?

What week can they tell the sex of the baby?

Is there anything that can be done about hormone headaches?

I know these are questions I should be asking my Dr, but that would require me to have one. Apparently there are like a million prego's right now because no Dr is taking new OB patients so it's been a royal pain trying to find one. Thanks girls.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiLbesos812
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM

You should be able to feel the baby by now if you're 20 weeks. You could also find out the sex of the baby by now. not sure about the headaches. I would try to find a dr as soon as possible. 20 weeks is a long time to go without OB care. Good luck!

mnjo
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I am pregnant with my first right now, at 20 weeks.

1. I felt the baby kick or what I'm told is kicking, it felt like fluttering because the baby still has room to move so you shouldn't feel like a full blown kick yet. 

2. I haven't gained any weight but I was at an unhealthy weight pre-pregnancy so its different for me I guess. I am told the weight gain is more important toward the last half of the pregnancy because that's when baby is getting bigger and bigger and needing more food. I don't think you should be concerned.

3. I found out sex of my baby at around 18 weeks.

4. Sorry about your headaches, I get them almost every day! :( I take tylenol and sometimes antihistamine stuff like benadryl because sometimes it could by from increased sinus buildup. It's hard to know the difference sometimes.

Hope any of this helped you! Good luck finding an OB!

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I started feeling DD (my first and only so far) at 17 weeks or so. 

I wouldn't be too worried about your weight just yet. I actually lost 5-10 lbs in the first trimester because I was so nauseous all the time. 

Usually at the 20 week ultrasound they'll give it a go, and by 30 weeks they can tell clearly. 

My dr. actually prescribed me hydrocodone (I think it's off-brand vicodin) for my headaches. Taken under doctoral supervision, at the right dosage and intervals, it's ok for the baby. I got my scrip late in the second trimester. 

Do you have a planned parenthood near you? They may be able to recommend local OBs who are taking new patients. 

BabyBrooke13
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:52 PM

this is my 3rd pregnancy and I didn't feel movements until I got to around 23 wks or so this time (the placenta is in the front acting like a pad so i didn't feel anything until the baby got bigger . . . weight i don't think there is a standard, I'm 32wks and still have only gained back 12 of the 17lbs i lost early on (I wasn't sick just had total food aversion, everything tasted yucky or left a weird taste) . . . as long as baby is growing weekly my dr. isn't concerned . . . sex they can tell like everyone else said . . . and headaches my dr. had a simple solution, caffine . . . I am so addicted to caffine that for my to cut it out causes extreme headaches . . . so i have coffee, tea, some soda (still leaves a weird taste) and just use lots of ice and drink plenty of water in between (still no where near recommended) . . . we also just found out I'm iron deficiant, again, and now that i'm on an iron suppliment which in turn also brought my BP back to normal, the headaches left aren't so bad

sweettigeress
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM

With my first pregnancy I didn't gain any weight till near the end, then I gained it all at once. Which was not fun. You should be feeling the baby move right now. You can also determine the gender right now. 

I'm not sure about the headaches. I just take tylenol when I have a headache.

mrs.phillips123
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM

some people feel their baby kick as early as 15 weeks, others dont feel it until mid 20's. my first i felt move much earlier. this time im 20 weeks and have only felt him move once about 2 weeks ago.

dont worry about the weight gain. as long as your eating enough and healthy then you have nothing to worry about. you should only be eating around 300 calories more than before pregnancy if you were average weight.

they can tell the pregnancy as early as 13 weeks but most obs wait until between 18-20 weeks to do the anatomy ultrasound. they did mine at 18 weeks with this baby.

as for headaches a small amount of caffiene is ok. drs say not to exceed anymore than 200-300 mgs a day. a can of soda has around 40, a cup of coffee varies on strength and size but you should be fine with one or two cups. i do half caff to help with mine. also drink lots of water, headaches can be a sign of dehydration. you can try tylenol or a nap also if your not comfortable with caffiene.

good luck momma, hope i answered all of your questions!

DylansMom213
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

You should be able to feel the baby now, if you're 20 weeks. You can find out the sex of the baby as early as 16 weeks from what I've heard but most OBGYN's wait until 18 weeks, I think. I don't know much about the weight, just that it seems you should have already gained more. I gained 31 pounds total during my pregnancy, and I know for a woman who's weight was healthy before pregnancy, the normal gain is 25 to 35 pounds. I think for hormone headaches you can take Tylenol, but that's about it. My brother in law's wife had those and that's what they told her to do.

You really should see a doctor...have you tried going to your county's health department? I would just go for peace of mind.

HuntersMommy03
by on Mar. 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Around 16 yo 20 weeks but I didn't feel mine until 26. At the 20 to 21 week mark I hadn't gained a whole lot of weight yet. I gained 34 lbs. and most of it was the last few months. They told me I was haveing a boy at 18 weeks so you should find out as soon as you have found a dr. Mine told me it was ok to take Tylenol Extra Strength for the headaches.

IheartArianna07
by on Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM

This.

And I got terrible headaches and migraines with this baby. My midwife prescribed me extra magnesium because sometimes that can be a cause and she also prescribed me pain pills. They were basically like Tylenol except they also had caffine in them which helped tremendously. I'd say once I got to maybe 28 weeks my headaches were completely gone.

Quoting LiLbesos812:

You should be able to feel the baby by now if you're 20 weeks. You could also find out the sex of the baby by now. not sure about the headaches. I would try to find a dr as soon as possible. 20 weeks is a long time to go without OB care. Good luck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
xxLukesMamaxx
by on Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This. Please hurry and see someone for your pregnancy. You should be taking prenatal and make sure your on track with everything. Good luck and congratulations!

Quoting LiLbesos812:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)