Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How far could you expect a 4 year old to walk?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

How far would be a reasonalble distance for a 4 year old to walk, hang out, and then walk home? I'm thinking about walking to the library tomorrow.

confused

by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:32 PM

im not really sure. how far is the library? do u have a stroller or a wagon or something in case he gets tired?

JMKristy
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Well I guess it depends on if they are used to walking places or not. My kids used to walk a few blocks at that age to the park. It was about a mile and a half round trip. We always took the wagon, in case they decided they were done walking!!

Odrosselgal
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I take my kids on a 6-8 block hike sometimes.  We walk to a gas station near our home get a cookie and than play at the park, and walk home.  Just remember It takes a bit more time.  But the pass out after is totally worth it!!! Good luck momma and have fun at the library with you little one. 

Domzmom2005
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM

My son will walk about a block and a half to the park, run around for a few hours, then walk a block and a half home. We have to stop once in a while so he can get a drink and take a little break. I would bring a stroller or something just in case he gets tired.

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM

It depends on your child. My son walks a lot and will walk a mile (seriously). Bring a wagon or someting though because kids do have off days even if they do walk a lot.

skylersmom44
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Our 4 yr old will walk our mile long walk with us everyday.

KrhMsh
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Well is your 4 year old used to walking or do you tend to stroller up alot? My 4 year old can walk a good part of the day, but she hasn't ridden in a stroller since she was 2-2 1/2 and I'm big on making her walk, for one I don't want to carry her, because that's 30 extra pounds I don't need to lug around and because it's healthy and I'm hoping it will stay with her later in life and she won't have to worry about weight issues.

We walked around Pikes place market for 4 hours(at least), the next day we walked around downtown and hiked by the ocean. I've also taken her walking on nature trails then we had to walk .25-.50mi up hill, and it was a BATTLE with her, but I made her do it because I didn't think it was my responsibility to haul her up the hill, she made it, and was fine. We walk alot is the point lol!

ShireeCS
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:42 PM

My daugher can walk several miles we took her on a train ride and had a several hour layover in two stops and walked around alot she had a blast we did walk slower and stopped alot but she was able to do it no problems.

l-asmama
by on Mar. 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM

My daughter is almost 3 and in the summer we walked every where, to the library, that was about 10 blocks away, to the grocery store that was a mile and half away.. just depends on the kid, but she had no other choice so she did it... of course it took a while but we made it where we were going... if you are going to like story time, just make sure you leave extra early to make it on time :)

JenniL05
by on Mar. 30, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I would agree on a mile or two at least. My son walks everywhere with me, especially in the summer and he's only 3 now. ;) It all depends on what he's used to though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN