Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Convertible Car Seat Help...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM
  • 18 Replies

Our DS is 8 1/2 months old and is only 17 lbs. but he's almost reached the height limit for his infant car seat. We're going to Babies R Us tomorrow to get him a convertible seat and I thought I had made my mind up on the one I wanted but now I can't decide Lol. The Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX got the best safety rating on consumer reports but my DH likes the Safety 1st Complete Air. Do any of you have either of these seats?? And does anyone know a great website I can go to with good information on car seats? Thanks ladies!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
army_wifey_06
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I should add that the Safety 1st wasn't on the consumer reports but it has good ratings from people who have purchased it. Obviously they don't rate every seat on consumer reports but I'm wondering if I should just go with the Evenflo since they did rate that one....

thetammy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM

we have the evenflo triumph advance for ds and hes 2 now and we love it. its so roomy for him still.

RosaliesMomma
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:33 AM

My husband does the car seat safety checks on base and he says that Britax is the safest but Graco is just as safe and cheaper.  I liked an Evenflo travel system and he said no to that as well as safety 1st.

Mom71307
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:50 AM

I have an older version of the safety first since we bought it 2 yrs ago for my daughter.  She was able to RF in it until 2 1/2 and then we turned her because of her torso height.  She is now FF in a Graco nautilus and our 6 month old is RF in the safety first.  I like the safety first but I wish the shell was higher so I could RF longer.  Otherwise, it is a good seat. 

JenB1983
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I have heard nothing but great things about the Triumph.  The Complete Air on the other hand...not so much.  Me personally; I would never buy one.  I wouldn't trust my children in any seat manufactured by Dorel Juvenile(Cosco, Safety First, Eddie Bauer).  As for convertible I've used a Marathon and a Graco My Ride65.  I absolutely ADORED both of those seats.

mommaslilman06
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM

sorry i dont know much about other seats. i just have 2 safety firsts true fits and love them. my oldest is still rf in his at 3.5 yrs old (hes a lightweight) the car seat safety moms group know just about everything about all seats out there and can point u in the right direction

sweettigeress
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM

My DD had a cosco from walmart and has been using it since she was 6m old. It works great. People like to think that the more expensive something is, the better it is. That's not true. It's expensive because you're paying for the name. All carseats are made out of the same things. Plastic and material. I recently bought my dd the graco nautilus. She's 2.5. I love it as well.

MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Are you willing to consider extended-rear facing?  Please join the Car Seat Safety group on here, it has tons of facts.  Rear-facing for as long as possible is 5 TIMES SAFER than forward facing a child.  There are many seats available with high weight and height limits to maximize rear-facing and when those limits are reached, you can still use the seat to forward face for a long time. 

I have the Graco MyRide for my dd.  You can get it at wal-mart for $129.88 or $150 from BRU.  It rear-faces up to 40 pounds and forward faces up to 65 pounds.

If you have a higher budget, the Sunshine Kids Radian is an amazing seat!  It rear-faces up to 45 pounds and forward faces up to 120 pounds.  The shell is also VERY tall so it accomidates tall children perfectly. 

If you want more info, please PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group here on CM. 

This is Riley, 4 years, 4 months old, STILL rear-facing in a MyRide.

mommaslilman06
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

the reason some seats cost more is because they can hold more weight. the costco screna is cheap only because it lasts 40lbs where most convertables are to 65lbs

Quoting sweettigeress:

My DD had a cosco from walmart and has been using it since she was 6m old. It works great. People like to think that the more expensive something is, the better it is. That's not true. It's expensive because you're paying for the name. All carseats are made out of the same things. Plastic and material. I recently bought my dd the graco nautilus. She's 2.5. I love it as well.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        

breastfeeding,8 month

army_wifey_06
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Thanks so much for all the info! Your DD is adorable by the way! I am wanting to do extended rear facing and I had applied to the car seat group last night but hadn't been accepted yet. I got a welcome message from the group this morning so I'm gona go check it out! :)

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Are you willing to consider extended-rear facing?  Please join the Car Seat Safety group on here, it has tons of facts.  Rear-facing for as long as possible is 5 TIMES SAFER than forward facing a child.  There are many seats available with high weight and height limits to maximize rear-facing and when those limits are reached, you can still use the seat to forward face for a long time. 

I have the Graco MyRide for my dd.  You can get it at wal-mart for $129.88 or $150 from BRU.  It rear-faces up to 40 pounds and forward faces up to 65 pounds.

If you have a higher budget, the Sunshine Kids Radian is an amazing seat!  It rear-faces up to 45 pounds and forward faces up to 120 pounds.  The shell is also VERY tall so it accomidates tall children perfectly. 

If you want more info, please PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group here on CM. 

This is Riley, 4 years, 4 months old, STILL rear-facing in a MyRide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)