Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe in scheduals?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM
  • 52 Replies

Poll

Question: Should children be put on a schedual?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I do not believe in this, because in my opinion i think kids who are like this are robots to time. I dislike woman who wake their infants up to eat, i dislike woman who shove their kids in a room, close the door and make their kids fall asleep alone..even if they aren't tired. And a list of other things.

Aniyah hasn't ever been on one, she slept through the night since birth and i never woke her up to eat and she is just fine. Aniyah NEVER gets put in her crib to fall asleep by herself, i always hold her, rock her, sing to her, tickle her back/arm and hold her hand n cuddle her. And thats for all naps and bedtime. Aniyah isn't on one for napping actually she has made her own lil routine and goes to bed the same time everyday and if she isn't tired, she doesn't get made to go to sleep and she just misses her nap for that day and shes just fine. And i think shes more happy then my niece and nephew because she is shown more attention then my sister n hubby does..they were forced on a schedual and they hate going to bed and always scream and fight..aniyah hasn't once did that.

What do you believe in and why?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
savannabooker
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I believe that they should have somwhat of a schedule. Like bed time, nap time and things like that. They should be put on your schedule as soon as possible. Especially if you are a working parent. If you are a SAHM then its a little different.

mama_girl07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I think some children benefit from it and others dont. My kids are on a schedule but it isnt like super strict or anything and yes I "shut" them in their rooms to go to sleep. This is how its always been I lay my kids down and they go to sleep its not like a dugeon or anything I go check on them if they are crying or whatever. I know they are tired and that is bedtime. Neither one of my children fight or scream at bedtime, I tell them its bedtime and they go give their dad a kiss and go get in bed and thats that. I never woke them to feed them but if a parent does than thats their progative. I will do with my kids as I see fit and you do with yours.  I dont think kids on scheduales are robots either just for the record.

rockinmomto2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM

My older kids have a nap time and bed time. On average, it takes my oldest 45 minutes to fall asleep (she's been like that since she was a baby), and my middle about 20 minutes. My baby doesn't have a schedule because she's barely 4 months. In my family, we need schedules to keep everyone sane.

HardWorkingMomK
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM

My daughter knows what time it is because of a schedule, she is 18 months. She knows when it is lunch, nap, dinner and bed time. We have no problems leaving her with people for full days because of this because even when she was so young we could give them her schedule and they knew when to expect these things. For us its also preparing them for real life and for school. My sd never was on a schedule and is struggling because of it in Kindergarten and also did in preK. Schedules also give a sense of normalcy to kids which they need. 

SweetPea05
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I believe iin a flexible schedule, not so much for babies but defnitely for toddlers! We do have fairly consistent naptimes, and while we do not "shove them" in their room tired or not, that is naptime and they can watch a movie or go to sleep, and my 3 yo goes to bed at 7 every night like it or not, rarely does she fight me over it. We are fairly consistent with what times we eat, although I agree on not waking a baby to an extent :D Depends on the baby, our oldest we never woke to eat, but our youngest had some health and FTT issues and wouldnt eat period so ya we had to wake her! Our schedule is flexible I am not going to NOT do something because oh thats naptime or lunchtime etc. We allow a 1-2 hour range of flexbilty! Although I had a friend who had triplets and they were on a super strict schedule and I am pretty sure that s the only thing that saved her sanity!!

JMKristy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I believe in consistency.... I said no to a schedule even though that is not 100% true. I believe a child should be fed when hungry... that usually happens around the same time daily. I also believe naps and bed time especially at young ages should happen with consistency. It isn't fair to a child to keep them up until 11 one night, but put them down at 8 the following. I have friends who keep to a rigid schedule... I disagree with it 100%!!!!! When the kids were younger, we just went with the flow. When they got up, I did too... fed them when they were hungry, and put them to bed when they were tired. But we never really planned our lives around some sort of schedule with them! Now that they are older and in school, there is more of an actual schedule around here... for obvious reasons!!

kirstn007
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM

well, my sons on a schedule, i think its a little strong to say you dislike someone becuse of that. he sleeps from 8-830 until 8am the next day along with a nap around 1or2pm until 3or4pm, and guess what, my son IS tired at those times because he is on a schedule and he stays very active all day. schedules work if they are done right and for u to say you dislike someone cus they arent like you is wrong,. get over it, schedules are good for kids. my son gets a bath every night around 630 to know its time to wind  down and singing and/or books around 7:15 or 7:30. and believe it or not hunny its actually good for children to learn how to comfort themselves to sleep. and my baby boy knows if he has trouble sleeping or begins to cry hard i will be there to rock him and calm him! ur ways arent the only right way (to go as far as to say that) and not they only way!!!!

kitacall
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM

My kids dont sleep on a schedule and it's always worked fine for me.  There is a certain time that they do lay down but they have their tv on and usually get in the same bed until they fall asleep.  We try to do meals around the same time everyday, but if they dont it's fine.  And no naps, cause that keeps them up later at night.  In the end its whatever works for your family, cause everyone is different!

CamdensMom12
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I think waking your children and forcing to sleep and being on a schedule are two different things. I think it's good to have your child on a schedule and be consistent. That doesnt mean it will go smooth or work out every day either. Some days my son won't take his afternoon nap, and that's fine. But I still lay him down about the same time every day and if he doesnt want to take a nap i will get him back up. I think having a schedule for your child makes them feel secure and is comforting for them. We have always done the same bed routine for our son and he never has a problem going to bed. He is only 14 months old.

C_Kight
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM

My kids work well on a schedule. If they aren't on a schedule then they get cranky... The littlest one's nap time is somewhere btw. 11-2 and their bed time is between 8:30-9:30. Their schedule isn't "strict" per say but they do have somewhat of a schedule and it works well for them and me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)