• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be offended? *Update*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM
  • 87 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be offended?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 201

View Results

I work at a nursing home, and the daughter of a resident brings her 3 year old son in every day. The child is there from around 9 am until around 9-10 pm. My understanding is that he and his mom live in a shelter, and it's obvious that she doesn't have a job or much money. The child is almost never wearing clothes that actually fit.

Anyway, I got to thinking, he's probably not going to have much of an Easter, so I bought him a little Easter basket (couple chocoloate bunnies, couple matchbox cars, and an outfit). It's not much, but I figured he'd be happy to have something.

My mom told me that if someone had done that when we were kids, she would have been very offended. It never even occurred to me that it might offend the mom--that's definitely not my intention. It wouldn't offend me if someone bought my kid an Easter basket, but I figured I'd get some opinions before I took it in.....

So, would you be offended?

Update:

I left the basket on the table with a note "To: (boy's name) From: The Easter Bunny".

He was SO excited. All day, he was telling and showing everyone what the Easter Bunny brought for him. Mom left a note thanking "the Easter Bunny" because she said she hadn't seen him that happy and lit up in a long time.

It's amazing how much good something so little can do. Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I couldn't respond to all of them....I work long hours on the weekends.....

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

If you know she really needs the help, I say go for it. And you are a wonderful person to be so generous to a stranger.

"God is an invention of Man. So the nature of God is only a shallow mystery. The deep mystery is the nature of man."

MissiHampt
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM

If I were in her situation I would be very grateful, but maybe a tad embarassed.  But I'd suck it up for my kid's benefit.  Anyone who would act offended is just rude...

rdrettig
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I would NOT be offended! That is such a nice thing to do, and as a parent you have to suck up your pride and be thankful if someone is willing to help you out. It is about the child having a good day!!!

MythicMMM
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

This situation is about the kid, not the mom. She would have to be a pretty self centered woman to be offended by this and say something to you about it.

ChesterGirl
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

If she REALLY needs it , like it sounds like she dose . I would think that she would be greatful and not offended . Unless she's just a very proud person , which it dosent seem she is in the position to be that way . I could not see her turining down a gift for her child , even if she would for herself .

EllaEnchanted04
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I would talk to the resident...if she doesn't see a problem with it I would think it would be alright then I would do it. If it were me I wouldn't openly give it to the boy I'd ask the resident if I could put it in his/her room for the little boy. At best the grandparent could take the credit and you still would have done a good thing

sandraberke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

i agree thi is afully kind of u and very generious. the kids probally gonna have a blast!

linseyfrayer
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Go for it you just might make their day so much better knowing there are people out there that actually have hearts and care about other people besides themselves.

JenniL05
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

No I wouldn't be. If you see the kid all the time it's a nice gesture regardless of whether they have money or not! ;)

MikeysMom51108
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Unfortunately, this particular resident is unresponsive most of the time, and when she is responsive, she's very confused.

But, I get there at 730 in the morning, well before they do, so I was thinking I would just leave it on the night stand. I figured it might be less embarassing for the mom that way, and the boy can believe it's from the Easter bunny.

Quoting EllaEnchanted04:

I would talk to the resident...if she doesn't see a problem with it I would think it would be alright then I would do it. If it were me I wouldn't openly give it to the boy I'd ask the resident if I could put it in his/her room for the little boy. At best the grandparent could take the credit and you still would have done a good thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)