Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 yr old tasered by police at a day care! omg!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

April 1) -- Two police officers have been suspended for reportedly using a stun gun on a 10-year-old boy who had gotten out of control at a day care facility.

The incident occurred Tuesday, when a worker at Tender Teddies Day Care in Martinsville, Ind., called police to report that one of the children there was acting up and posed a potential threat to the kids, local news affiliate WRTV reported.

A spokesperson for the Martinsville Police Department told AOL News that Capt. William Jennings and Officer Darren Johnson arrived at the scene and found the boy to be "combative." Jennings then slapped the boy, and Johnson used his Taser to further subdue him, police said.

The boy, who weighs 94 pounds, received two marks on his arm where Jennings used the gun, WTHR news reported, but is believed to have suffered no lasting injuries.

While the day care center's owner, Heath Lancaster, did not comment on the case, police released a statement announcing that the officers had been placed on paid administrative leave pending further investigation.

"While the department will not condone the unnecessary treatment of any subject, regardless of age, in any apprehension situation, additional comments will not be made pending results of the final investigation," the statement read.

Separate investigations have now been launched by the Morgan County Sheriff's Department, the Martinsville Police Department and the Martinsville Department of Child Services.

"We need to look at it a lot closer because [the Taser gun is] not really made for 10-year-olds," Martinsville Police Chief Jon Davis said at a news conference.

While the police had been called to Tender Teddies Day Care on another occasion about the behavior of the same child, local resident Kenneth Frazier told WRTV that he thinks police went too far.

"I don't think that should have happened. I'm sure they could have detained him some other way," Frazier said. "They take big grown-ups down without tasing them ... why a 10-year-old

there is a video on there u can watch to from there area news!

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/taser-used-on-10-year-old-in-indiana-policemen-suspended/19423387

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaylawv2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM

WOW! Two grown policemen cannot get a 94lb 10 yr old under control without using a stun gun???...That's just ridiculous if anyone ever did that to my 10 yr old they would be lying in a ditch somewhere i don't care who they are.

jazztastic
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM

That's horrific!  WTF were they thinking?  If a kid is acting up at a daycare, you'd think the owners/teachers/whatever they are would have a way to deal with this sort of situation.  If it absolutely was necessary to call the police, I'm sure they could have dealt with this little boy in a much more humane way.  That's sick and if I were that boy's parent, I'd be suing the police and the daycare for abusing my child.

sandraberke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

thats just horrible- seriously and omg! there is definatly something wrong with this picture-

the fact that the stun gun was used is just plan awful!

my question is...why is the daycare watching this problem child anyways. if  he is soo bad hwy not just talk to the folks and be hey i cant watch this little brat anymore-

hopeandglory53
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I don't know, I get this feeling of this is just an April Fool's online joke. If not, terrible!

PRMommy86
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

OOOOOOOOMG!!!!!!! WTH?!

mylilprincesses
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Quoting hopeandglory53:

I don't know, I get this feeling of this is just an April Fool's online joke. If not, terrible!

this isnt a joke there is video from the news talking about this!

luvmybaby
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:49 PM

You would be surprised at how much we are not trained for this kind of situations in daycares. I used to work at a center, there was a 2yr old little boy that was WAY out of control. He was big and strong and was hard to control. He put me in the ER after stabbing me in the eye. It took a long time before they kicked this little boy out and my MIL now takes care of him in an after school program and she says he is even worse. The staff is instructed to evacuate the room immediately if he goes off and to call the cops cause he gets so violent. 

But we were never trained how to deal with a kid like that. You would think that 2 cops would be able to handle a 10yr old, but we have no way of knowing what was actually going on with him to make them use the taser. After dealing with a violent 2yr old at the daycare, it scares me to know how made a 10yr old could have gotten if they were super violent as well.

Quoting jazztastic:

That's horrific!  WTF were they thinking?  If a kid is acting up at a daycare, you'd think the owners/teachers/whatever they are would have a way to deal with this sort of situation.  If it absolutely was necessary to call the police, I'm sure they could have dealt with this little boy in a much more humane way.  That's sick and if I were that boy's parent, I'd be suing the police and the daycare for abusing my child.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Honestly, while it is sad, I am not the least bit surprised. 

Even though the kid was only 10 we don't know what happened. My brother was a serious hellion when he was that age and nearly put my sister in the hospital. 

Am I saying that the stun gun was justified? No. I am saying that I know first hand how hard it is to control some 10 year olds when they get violent.

kngarber
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Good old Martinsville!!  This doesn't suprise me in the least.  I mean really how hard would it have been to get a hold of him and put him in the car.  But now lets smack him, taser him, and traumatize the entire daycare.  Not to mention the daycare is moronic for allowing him to stay after already having to call the police about him once.  DUH DUH DUH.

kngarber
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Def not a joke.  Really happened. 

Quoting hopeandglory53:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)