Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding dress help/suggestions!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM
  • 32 Replies

Ok, so I am getting married July 31st and I need to get a dress.  I absolutely abhor dresses.  I am probably the least girly person I know.  haha.  I haven't worn a dress since I was around 14(I'm 25 now).  I wore a witch costume, which was a dress, to my SO's cousin's Halloween wedding last year, but that doesn't count, at least to me.  So I need some ideas/suggestions/opinions/help on what type of dress you guys think would work for my body type.  I still have some extra baby weight from having my 9 lb son(he'll be 4 in June), so I want something that doesn't make me look like a blob.  However, I don't even know what to look for.  I also want straps because I just don't have the boobs for a strapless dress.  Plus, I'm a bit self-conscious about my chest, so yeah.  Here's a pic of me from earlier today:

I think I have a slightly boyish figure(I know I did when I was in HS), so do you ladies have any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tcchick2006
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM

what about a poofy dress? imo those are very beautiful! make an apt with davids bridal and they can you out with ease

babyline
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM

you don't look boyish at all. you look like you got some womanly curves. if you don't like dresses you could wear a white pantsuit or something. An empire waist dress is nice. it flows from the boobs down.  and at davids bridal they can put little "security" straps on any dress. I had those to keep me in. go out n try a ton on. you will know the right one when it's on. good luck!

lawmom27
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Not to be funny but are you tall? short? busty? I can post a suggestion for you...a budget too please

jazztastic
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I'm about 5'7" tall and currently weigh in at 168(yuck).  My bra size did go up after I had my son.  I'm now a 40C.  Budget for a dress is probably between $0-$400.

forever_case
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I would probably go with a Halter top with some type of embellishment under the bustline.

lawmom27
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Bridal Gowns Style 9SAS1212 - Satin Side Drape Gown with Beaded Bodice

You'll want an A-line dress or a sheath dress. You don't want a dress to add bulk but to create curves. This dress I saw on David's Bridal.

mnjo
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM

ditto, A lines look good on a wide range of people. If you go to Davids Bridal and get a consultant and ask all the questions you posted on here, they can help you find something you will like! :) 

Quoting lawmom27:

Bridal Gowns Style 9SAS1212 - Satin Side Drape Gown with Beaded Bodice

You'll want an A-line dress or a sheath dress. You don't want a dress to add bulk but to create curves. This dress I saw on David's Bridal.

ddsunshine
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM

David's Bridal can help! I use to work there its been awhile so they have new style of dresses but a consultant can help you. Go on their website and request a catalog or go to the store and pick one up. 

katieGrace
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM

yshould makke an apppointment with david bridal.... honestly anyone can say what they  abou them, but they will hook you up!!  You just try on dresses until you find a style you like - and that doesn't mean you have to buy, it just gives you an idea of what makes you feel/look beautiful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)