Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girl vs Boy Toys?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

I want to teach my kids that there are no "girls toys" or "boys toys" If my son wants a baby doll, why not? Right? Generally he sticks to cars and dinosaurs, but yesterday at the store he was all about this Dora the Explorer princess doll. I wanted to get it for him, but DH says he's a boy and dolls are for girls.. I don't see the problem; Am I wrong?

kelleybamboo.blogspot.com

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshinemama86
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

i would not have a problem with it at all. i have a dd and she loves cars dinosaurs and legos. my friends son has a play kitchen i think its normal they are fun toys either way.

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I'm with you.

My daughter has dolls, and trucks, and blocks, and action figures....I'm not going to pidgeon hole her before she can even understand the concept.

silverdawn99
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

while i am all for little boys playing with dolls and my little girl playing with her brothers hot wheels i wouldnt buy my sons a dora the explorer princess doll. i have no qualms about them loving on it  and playuing it i wouldnt want them to get teased by others

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM

My little brother had cabbage patch dolls and care bears, and my older son has a toy kitchen and care bears

baby growth

baby

baby

angelicangel09
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

when my ds was younger he had a boy cabbage patch doll and he did have a play kitchen too. Nothing wrong with it!

mnjo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM

ummmm I'm not really sure. I have mixed feelings about it. I just know girls have a history of being allowed to play with "boys toys" but with boys if he's over at someone else's house and he'd rather play dolls with the girls than pretend football with the boys then people make a stink about it or he gets made fun of. And I went through college thinking that the toys we give our kids socialize them into certain roles when they are older. So in my own opinion I think maybe it depends on how you and your DH want your son to grow up, and what you would think is acceptable when he is a teenager. Do you think its harmless now, but you won't want him doing girly teenage things? I guess I would say you and DH think about what you will think is okay in the future when he is older. Hope this helps. 

mnjo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I do think there is a difference between a play kitchen set and a princess doll. 

deegansmommy28
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM

my ds loves to play with sd's play high heels and purses and her kitchen. dh gets mad when i let him walk around with the princess shoes on, but he loves to put all shoes on and he doesnt even get whats for girls or whats for boys, he is just having fun. i let him play with anything he wants. and sd plays with any of his toys she wants. its far more accepted for girls to play with boys toys (dh never says a word about that) but he always has somthing to say when its the other way around and that drives me crazy!!!

sweetheartmom2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Ok, so your son is like 15 months old??  I don't see a problem with it at all.  He is so young that he has no clue what he is playing with, he prob. just likes the colors and the fact that it looks like a person.  I would not have a problem with it at that age and I would buy it for him......Although I might let him look at other toys and see if he would like something just as much that he would like for longer.......like trucks or something that he would like to play with when he is older too so I am not wasting my money.

I have a son who is 5 and my daughter is 20 months.  They play with eachothers toys all the time.  My daughter has Dora stuff and my son likes it....my son likes to watch Dora too.  I don't have a problem with it.  I have noticed that my daughter likes to play with my sons "boy" toys more than her own.  but i think that is just b/c she sees him playing with them and so she wants to do everything he does.

When my son was 2-3 years old his favorite color was pink and he loved to play kitchen and play with his shopping cart and "go shopping".  I think that is perfectly fine......and not a big deal.  My brothers made fun of him....not to his face, but to me LOL and I was like whatever!  Now that he is 5 he is all about boy stuff, he still likes to look at girl toys like barbies and baby dolls at the store but he doesn't really show any interest in them other than saying he thinks they would be great toys for his sister LOL

I think that kids should be exposed to both feminine and masculine toys (boy/girl) and that it's perfectly normal for kids to like both.  Of course I think once they get to a certain age.....boys will like boy toys and girls will like girl toys.  Boys and girls are just different that way.

At the age my son is now......5.....if he asked for a barbie doll, I would say "no".  I would have him pick out a GI Jo or something like that.  That is just me though.

mnjo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

oh my gosh that's so sweet that he thinks about what his sister would like.

Quoting sweetheartmom2:

Ok, so your son is like 15 months old??  I don't see a problem with it at all.  He is so young that he has no clue what he is playing with, he prob. just likes the colors and the fact that it looks like a person.  I would not have a problem with it at that age and I would buy it for him......Although I might let him look at other toys and see if he would like something just as much that he would like for longer.......like trucks or something that he would like to play with when he is older too so I am not wasting my money.

I have a son who is 5 and my daughter is 20 months.  They play with eachothers toys all the time.  My daughter has Dora stuff and my son likes it....my son likes to watch Dora too.  I don't have a problem with it.  I have noticed that my daughter likes to play with my sons "boy" toys more than her own.  but i think that is just b/c she sees him playing with them and so she wants to do everything he does.

When my son was 2-3 years old his favorite color was pink and he loved to play kitchen and play with his shopping cart and "go shopping".  I think that is perfectly fine......and not a big deal.  My brothers made fun of him....not to his face, but to me LOL and I was like whatever!  Now that he is 5 he is all about boy stuff, he still likes to look at girl toys like barbies and baby dolls at the store but he doesn't really show any interest in them other than saying he thinks they would be great toys for his sister LOL

I think that kids should be exposed to both feminine and masculine toys (boy/girl) and that it's perfectly normal for kids to like both.  Of course I think once they get to a certain age.....boys will like boy toys and girls will like girl toys.  Boys and girls are just different that way.

At the age my son is now......5.....if he asked for a barbie doll, I would say "no".  I would have him pick out a GI Jo or something like that.  That is just me though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)