Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school nurse has officially p-oed me!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM
  • 52 Replies

Just a rant. 

My 6yro son wouldn't listen to DH when DH said to stay out of a particular tree. Why? Poison Ivy. At that time, DH hadn't had a chance to get rid of it. Well, DS didn't listen and, now, his entire left side is covered in poison ivy sores. DH and I had been putting calamine on him, but he kept picking at it. Pain in the butt, but no biggy. It's just poison ivy. Sucks, but who hasn't walked through it at least once in their life? 

Sent my son to school. Let his teacher know what was going on. Didn't think anything else of it. That is until the school nurse called and said that we needed to come and get him and take him to the pedi. DH said no, that wasn't anything wrong with him. Just poison ivy. The school nurse then said that he needed to have steroids and to take him to the doc and not to bring him back until he had a doc's note. So DH went and got him. 

Sat in the disgusting pedi office with all of the sick kids. Waited... waited... waited. Pedi came in and looked at DS and said "yep, it's poison ivy. Put some calamine on it. He'll be fine." 

Duh. 

When DH told the doctor about the school nurse wanting DS to be on steroids, the doctor said absolutely not and that he didn't give steroids to children that young unless absolutely necessary. 

Dh called the school nurse to let her know what the doctor said. She still didn't agree and wouldn't not let our son return to school. WTF?! It's not like it's contagious! It's not like he's so swollen that he can't see! Stop calling me! I know... he's picking at it! I know! He's 6yro! You tell a 6yro not to scratch and see what happens! GRRRRR! 

I have half the mind to send our new doctor bill and a receipt for our copay to this woman. Not to mention my son has now missed two days of school. This particular school nurse has had quite the attitude in the past but, after this (arguing with DH, who is formally certified in pediatric trauma and our pedi, who has been treating DH since his adoption 5.5yrs ago), I want to send her some "updated" medical books lol. 

***** UPDATE ON PG 5*****

AND YES, I know it's contagious, but it has to be seeping. DS' aren't. Just itchy lol. Poor kid :P

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellaamore
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I would talk to the school board about it.  You did your part.

Lorelai
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

OMG, what is it with SOME (nobody get offended please!) school nurses? The one in our district is a pain too!

Sarabear123
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I would make an appt. to speak to the principle or the administrator. You did what she asked, even though you shouldn't of had to in the first place. It's not her job to tell a Dr. what the diagnoses is, it's to listen to it! I would make a formal complaint for sure.

Alyssa1988-21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM

UMMM no offense but whoever told you that poison ivy isnt contagious is stupid espicially if the kid is picking at it, (what makes it contagious is the oil that comes out of the skin) I have gotten poison ivy from my brother because he thought it was funny to wipe the slime on me lol but I laughed my ass off when it spred to under his balls lol

Tracyfly
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Give him some antihistamine as well.  When I got it last summer, I used Zyrtec and it didn't bother me at all nor did it spread. 

bellaamore
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Once it isn't weeping anymore it isn't contagious.  I am severely allergic and I don't even react to it at that point.

Quoting Alyssa1988-21:

UMMM no offense but whoever told you that poison ivy isnt contagious is stupid espicially if the kid is picking at it, (what makes it contagious is the oil that comes out of the skin) I have gotten poison ivy from my brother because he thought it was funny to wipe the slime on me lol but I laughed my ass off when it spred to under his balls lol

sweetheartmom2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

That is strange b/c I got poison ivy once and it was on my forearms and right above both my knees.  It wasn't a HUGE breakout but it just would not go away......for like a month.  I had been putting calamine lotion on it and taking benadryl for the itchiness.  I finally went to the doc. b/c i was freaked that it wasn't going away.  They put me on steriods.  I did alot of research on the net about poison ivy and the steriods and stuff to make it go away........I read that if it is covering a big portion of your body (you said the whole left side of your son) then you need steriods to treat it cuz it might now go away.

Now that is just what I read.  I do know that docs. don't like to give young kids steriods though.......my son was on it once for an infected bug bite on his balls (LOL) and I only gave him 2 out of the 5 or 6 doses I was supose to b/c i didn't want him on it for that long and it cleared up.

What a wench that school nurse it.......sorry, that is a pain in the butt!

saras.mommy08
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:06 PM

What about getting the doctor to call the school nurse? If that doesn't work then I would go to the principal and tell them about what is going on.

sweetheartmom2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I agree.....benadryl really helped me not itch.  the topical stuff didn't last as long as the benadryl....but that can make kids sleepy, especially at school.  They do make benadryl gel......that worked really well too for the itching and it was way better than the calamine lotion, which really did not do much for me.

You just can't give the benadryl (orally) and gel at the same time.

Good luck!

Quoting Tracyfly:

Give him some antihistamine as well.  When I got it last summer, I used Zyrtec and it didn't bother me at all nor did it spread. 

scperdomo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I would definitely demand that the school (or nurse in particular) foot the bill for the doc visit when it was not at all necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)