Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

online classes

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM
  • 20 Replies

im looking to start online classes to  get  my basics then transfer to our local college to finish up in phlebotomy.  problem is, i dont know how to get started lol. i know nothing about any of this stuff. anyone wanna help me please??? if you are takin them, which college are you using? i babysit during the day and have my own 3 kids, thats why i want to do it online for now... thanks!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mwilt
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM

hmmm no one knows anything???

Renee02
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I am going to be going to Penn Foster (because it is cheaper and don't expect to have previous college) end of the yr (we will be moving soon so wanting to settle in 1st) to get my Associates for Vet Tech..BUT if you will be going to a Local College after getting your basics, I would talk wit hthe local college you will be going and see what they require and then go from there..I am a SAHM and have 2 kids, so hense it would be easier to do online like u mentioned..And of course cheaper lol..

OKStart
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I went to University of Phoenix for a while. I think it's overpriced and very time consuming; instead of it being at your own pace or whenever you have time, they make you sign in a certain amount of times a week and you have to participate in chat room discussions and if you forget to check in 2 times then you are automatically dropped from the class. Not to mention that half of the credits (note that these credits were REQUIRED as basics for U of P) do NOT transfer as relevant credits to most other schools. Needless to say I am taking classes at a local community college (it's about 10 times cheaper than U of P) and they offer A LOT of online classes; they are much less time consuming and I like that I can go to the school if I'm having any problems. So my advice would be to talk to the local school and tell your counselor to set you up in online classes only until you are in a better situation to take classes in person. Hope this helps!

christine.r2624
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I am finishing all my pre req's for nursing this summer :) so excited to actually get to start in my clinicals in january. I went through the local community college. It takes a little time to get started, but you just go and register (you have to do this at the school the first semester 95% of the time) but tell them you want to take your classes online, and an advisor will walk you through it. I actually went to the school this semester, but my summer classes will all be online, and this fall with the baby due I will be taking a few online classes as well. Good luck! oh and definitely check, because with phlebotomy, you should be able to do like a weekend or evening CNA class, and then a weekend or evening phlebotomy class and finish it much more quickly!

EllieMae1986
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I attend the University of Wyoming, I take some online and some on campus. The online stuff is really well organized but some online courses won't count with your local college/university if you don't take it from them online.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Really, all you need to do is decide on which college you want to go with and apply. Generally from there you will have someone from the admissions department call you and give you tons of information and walk you through what you need to do.

I am working towards my Bachelors in Criminal Justice through Rasmussen College. I applied and the next day I got a call from admissions. He gave me all the information that I needed and asked if I was sure I still wanted to enroll (some people back out when they get more details). Once I agreed I filled out more paperwork (all online) and then filled out FAFSA forms to see if I qualified for grants and what kind of loans I could get. From there, everything was pretty set up.

It isn't hard, but does require good time management. The admissions team will walk you through everything step by step and a lot of them even give you their email so you can email them with anything.

Annies_mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Just to get your basics, I've heard Kaplan is a good school. I'm personally attending The Art Institute of Pittsburgh online, but that's not a school to go to just for basics and for the most obvious reason, Phlebotomy isn't art. hahaha

I recommend doing a lot of research because there's lots of schools that are fraudulent and some don't  transfer their credits. Good luck!!

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Check with the local college and see if they offer online courses.  My college offers almost every course in an online version.  The ONLY thing that can't be done online, that I know of, are things like the nursing program, some of the medical programs and labs for the sciences.  

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

KelleyBamboo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I take most of my classes online at the community college in my city. You just enroll like you're going to regular classes then only register for online.

thetammy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

a friend of mine takes online classes from our local college, maybe yours offers them too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)