Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for the military wives

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

do you know anything about Thrift Savings Plans? My DH was in the Marines, but after he completed his 4 yrs he did not resign, and doesnt plan to. He wants the money from his TSP, but my understanding is there are penalties for withdrawing from it- isnt it like a retirement plan? He says it doesnt matter, because he has a 401K with his current job, and we could use the extra money in the TSP now.... it would really be helpful, but I dont want to do anything that will come back to bite us later on.

~C~

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KBix
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

my husband says he believes the tsp is only for the time you are in service and you dont have to wait the 20 years

christine.r2624
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Thanks, I just forwarded him the account numbers and what not to have him check into it. Thats what he said too, but alot of times he says things just to ease my mind... so I wanted to double check!

Quoting KBix:

my husband says he believes the tsp is only for the time you are in service and you dont have to wait the 20 years

~C~

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
xxLukesMamaxx
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

We have it but i'm honestly not sure how it works.. sorry, here is a bump!

devomoma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

YES IT LIKE A 401 K.. IF HE STILL WANTS TO KEEP IT HE CAN TRANSFER IT TO HIS 401K AT HIS NEW JOB.....

kristin_1984
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

yeap.

Quoting devomoma:

YES IT LIKE A 401 K.. IF HE STILL WANTS TO KEEP IT HE CAN TRANSFER IT TO HIS 401K AT HIS NEW JOB.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)