Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG did anyone see the "Unschooling" video?! PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

I guess it's a lot more common than I thought because there are tons of videos on Youtube about it which i'll check out later but this video link is my first insight to the concept and Wow, I really can't believe it.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/extreme-parenting-radical-unschooling-19218933

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsEvansMomOf2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

We homeschool and our methods could be considered un-traditional but that just seems a bit over bored. How are those kids going to actually survive in the "real" world. With us we do sit down lessons but we also have educational games and real world experiences to go with them. Like tomarrow I am making some bird charts and leaf charts with some question sheets. We are going to go to a park and talk about nature and go on some trails.

xxLukesMamaxx

I have heard of it but haven't watched any videos

LivinDeadGurl

You would be surprised on how many people do it. I am in some homeschooling support groups and a lot of the parents unschool.

ackley4ma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM
What is unschooling???
guam_mama
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

you gotta copy and paste the link to watch the video...sorry

christine.r2624
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

yup I have heard of it and seen videos... its very common, surprisingly. Home school is a very probable option for us, but Im not so keen on the idea of UNschooling... I want my kids to learn a curriculum

mommy3378
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Wow... that doesn't sound like a really good idea to me. That doesn't sound like the kids are going to be able to go out into the real world and get a good job, or make it through college...

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I'm so aggravated with my public school options and the private school won't take one of my 6yros b/c he has some emotional issues (long story. sad, but true). I'm thinking of maybe home schooling, but never like this UNschooling crap. I feel bad for the kids when they get that reality check. 

mommy3378
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I should add there is nothing wrong with home school, as long as you are actually teaching your kids and giving them the knowledge to succeed. I don't love the public school, but I can't afford private school and I can't teach worth junk (I have a short attention span, and get aggravated too easy..sad but true)

momma_gig
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM

i do, too! what's going to happen when they get their 1st job (if they even want to get a job) and they can't just do whatever they feel like doing anymore?

i've thought about homeschooling, but i'd never "unschool" my kids. i think parents have an obligation to raise their children, but this seems like the kids are raising themselves.

Quoting Chris030406:

I'm so aggravated with my public school options and the private school won't take one of my 6yros b/c he has some emotional issues (long story. sad, but true). I'm thinking of maybe home schooling, but never like this UNschooling crap. I feel bad for the kids when they get that reality check. 

i'm a proud young, unmarried, non-vaxing, non-spanking, co-sleeping, nurse-on-demand, disposable diaper using, occasional formula feeding, baby wearing, binkie giving, tattooed, vegetarian, 21 year old SAH momma to a 2 year old little diva and a 6 month old baby boy. i am also MADLY in love with the most amazing guy ever, who just happens to be their father <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)