Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 27 Replies

When I was pregnant with dd I had 3 ultrasounds. The first was vaginal, around 5 wks, the second was around 5 months to determine sex, the third was around 38 weeks. Well I'm getting 3 with this pregnancy too, my first was around 9 weeks, vaginal, the second between 4 & 5 months, & the third is scheduled for next week. I'll be 29 weeks pregnant. Isn't it a little early to be doing the last US? I have a regular app this Thurs. & I'm going to ask him, but was wondering when all of you got your last US before baby was born? I thought the last one was to make sure the baby was ready to be born, so it would be closer to due date? Am I wrong about that?

April ~ Proud Mommy to August Skyla, Loving wife to Curtis, And expecting a handsome little boy in July!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessO919
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I only had one ultrasound when I was pregnant, around week 18, to determine the sex and make sure everything was growing okay. 

ShireeCS
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I had 3. One at 5 weeks, one at 6 weeks ( my period would put me at 8 weeks for the first one and I was measuring 5 so they were checking the size to make sure the baby was growing) and another at 20 weeks the normal scan. I didnt get another and never found out she was a girl before she was born.

ptowncards05
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I only had two with both of my girls one at first appt then one to determine the sex

KimberlySnipes
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

So far I have had 3 with this baby, but one was elective.  My dr doesn't do a 3rd ultrasound unless there is a reason to.  They check to see if the baby is head down by pushing on me and checking my dilation.

KimberlySnipes
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Oh and with my son I had 4, 2 with the dr and 2 elective.

haley128
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I only recived two ultrasounds with my first son who is now three one when I was about 5 or 6 weeks and one around 20 weeks to find out the sex. I have only had two with this pregnancy as well one around 5 or 6 weeks and one around 23 weeks to find out the sex which is another boy and the Dr. has not said anything about doing anymore.

Chelsea06
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I had 2, a dating one and the gender one. The doctor said they would not do another unless i was measuring wrong or something else was wrong. They can tell the baby is ready to be born by where the baby is and direction, which can be done by feeling your belly. I did a third but i paid for it because I really wanted another and a dvd of him moving around.

HeartsLove
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I can't imagine!! I had I think a BILLION with each pregnancy, and I always enjoyed it, seeing my baby all the time like that

heavenly1462
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I only had 2 when i was prego with DD> One at 7 weeks to verify a pregnancy/heartbeat, one at 20 weeks to look at how baby was growing and the sex, and thats it. I think it is different for everyone. You could always discuss your concerns with your doctor or his/her nurse. GL mama!

loveashley
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I was around 32 weeks at my last ultrasound for my second two kiddos. I got 3-5 ultrasounds with each of those pregnancies, and then with my oldest, since I didn't find out until I was almost 5 months... I only got two ultrasounds with him. One right around 20 weeks, and the other one, around 38 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)