• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh crap

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

So we decided to get my DD a hamster today. She has been wanting a puppy, but we don't have the room for the breed we want and we are taking care of my brothers dog for the next few years while he is deployed and stationed overseas. Anyhow.....we got it home this afternoon and my eyes have been swollen and red and my nose....well.....it's just as miserable.

I am assuming it is the bedding, we got aspen-what the lady told us was the best, but my goodness. I don't know what to do. I feel like shit and dont know what else to try. Any suggestions? 

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TempestRayne
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:10 PM

the good ole standard shredded newspaper.

MissiHampt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:10 PM

don't get cedar bedding...it's not good for the critter.  and stay away from the pine, for your sake.  the kind make of old newspaper is a good one.

KBix
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

newspaper is best

ikesmommy00
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Oh man, we have had a lot of hamsters!! Newspaper is the best way to go =)

Capricorn89f
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM

if you have a shredder, u can use the paper in that for the bedding. that is what i did with my hampster....its cheap and recyled...old newspaper works too, but remember that hampsters like to dig little areas to sleep in at night and to hide there food. So Shredded newspaper or use paper that u've already shredded in the shredder.

luvmybaby
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Thank you ladies. I will have to try it cause I cant live like this, yet my 3.5yr old is already in love. Her hamster has already taken to her and snuggled right in when she held her, but when DH tried to hold her she bit him. I guess she dont like him much, lol.

JMKristy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM

They have a paper bedding you can also buy. It's in the same section as the wood shavings. That's what we use. (we have a hamster and a guinea pig) It also controls smell better than the shavings do. Our hamster will try to cram her little cheek pockets full of newspaper if we shred our own... I don't understand why!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)