Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Sleep problems, please help us!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so here is the problem that my husband and I are facing right now.

Brooke is about 4 weeks old right now, shes breast and bottlefeed, shes a very hearty eater!! We are having trouble with getting her to sleep anywhere except on my chest or in our bed, next to me, with some part of her body having to touch me.  The minute I move, she wakes up and starts screaming, until I move her closer again.  I have tried having her sleep in her bouncy chair, her swing, her crib, her bassinet, anywhere would be better then where we are right now.  I have also tried rocking her to sleep, patting her back til she is asleep, which works, but the second i go to put  her down somewhere, shes wide awake again, and I mean wide awake and screaming, til we pick her back up.  I have taken to sleeping on the couch with her alternating between her bouncy seat and me and I am exhausted, not to mention missing my bed.  I cant do this for many more nights, as I am reaching my limit, and my patients are wearing very very thin at this point.  I am averaging about 2 hours sleep a night, and they arent two consecutive hours.  I have been doing some research and found a hammock like sleep contraption called the Amby motion hammock. I was wondering if anyone has used one, if it worked, and if it was worth the money.  I dont want to spend $250 on something that isnt going to work, and is going to just sit in a corner of my house.  Any suggestions or comments would be really appriciated!!  Please help me get a couple more hours sleep by myself!!

by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-17):
junebear
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM
my daughter was the same way she is almost 4 months old. ive been giving her a bath everynight with johnsons and johnsons bedtime bath, ithas a scent of lavendar and after i give her a little massage with the bedtime massage lotion. we've been doing that for about a month in a half now and what a difference it makes
cmarcos
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 3:29 PM
i had the same problem when my little girl was born i lived in my rocking chair it was the worst thing ever my advice to you is put her in her crib and let her cry i know it sounds mean but it works with my son i learned not to make the same mistake again  if you have a toy that does ligth show on your ceiling  or you can try classical music that's what i did for my son and til this day he loves classical music you can try Sarah Brigthman  let me know how it goes good luck to you and i hope it works for you like it did for me bye
cmarcos
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Quoting cmarcos:

i had the same problem when my little girl was born i lived in my rocking chair it was the worst thing ever my advice to you is put her in her and let her cry i know it sounds mean but it works with my son i learned not to make the same mistake again  if you have a toy that does ligth show on your ceiling  or you can try classical music that's what i did for my son and til this day he loves classical music you can try Sarah Brigthman  let me know how it goes good luck to you and i hope it works for you like it did for me bye

or i forgot try putting something like a t shirt of yours in here crib thats clean but smells like you that also works
Starchsr16
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM
I just wanted to post back on here and first off say thank you to everyone who responded, i really appriciate it.  I was at my whits end, to say the least.  Also, i tried everything that everyone suggested and nothing worked, or if it did, it worked for like a day and then not anymore.....on a happier note....BROOKE IS SLEEPING IN HER CRIB AT NIGHT!!!! Shes been sleeping there for about 4 nights now, she seems to like it, it was the only place i could get her to take a nap today.....i put her in a sleep sack and then take a blanket and tuck it into each side of the crib, just over her legs and a bit of her tummy, tight enough so she cant really move all over the crib and she loves it!!!  Let me tell you i never thought it was going to work....but here we are!!! Thanks everyone!!

Heather
luvmybaby
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 8:59 PM
I think it is a phase they go through at this age. My daughter went through the exact same thing at the same age. I would get her to sleep then slowly lay her down and made sure I had a blanket or something next to her to imitate me. It worked most of the time. 

Hopefully it will get better. If it works for you try lettitng her sleep with you in bed for a little while, I also had to do the same and now my daughter sleeps in her bed by herself no problem-she is now 7months.
jider
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 9:27 PM
my only advice is to nip it now.... I waited and now he is six and still tries to climb in my bed. when he was still in a crib my sons doctor told me to lay my hand on his chest rather than pick him up... so he knows I am there but not on me or in my arms. you might also buy a heart-beat bear... it sounds like a heart beat and sooths baby to sleep./
bubblemommy
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 9:41 PM
I have the amby bed. My husband was nice enough to purchase the $300 hammock for our son. (Note the sarcasm in my tone!!!)  Honestly, don't waste your money. I didn't notice a big change in his sleeping. He still barely naps. he does sleep for a 6 hour period at night wakes for a bottle and goes back to bed for another 4-5 hrs. The only thing I like about it right now is it's keeping him in our room and out of his sisters!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)