Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could use some advice....

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM
  • 18 Replies

Now that I have decided to do this alone...I am thinking of coming up with a two year plan...lol a two year plan is what i was doing when I got pregnant..I was saving for two years to move out of state. I was thinking North Carolina somewhere nice like that. Any one ever worked or lived on the east coast?? Anyone who has tips would be cool......I know its cheaper but what kinds of jobs are there out there. I have done some research..but i want to use the next two years to get as much feed back as possible....

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I live on the East Coast, in VA Beach basically, and lemme tell you it's not cheaper. You have to research where you wanna move and the cost of living there, then you have to research WHY that's the cost of living there. In places where the cost of living is low, that usually means that there's no jobs, or they pay very little. Don't come here, none of us can find jobs either.

Kittlesdesigns
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:34 PM

My aunt lives in a gorgeous log cabin in North Carolina. She lives on a mountain so the scenery around her house is absolutely gorgeous. It's a really beautiful place and they live in an amazing little town. I don't really know as far as jobs go. My aunt and uncle are both in the medical field so they've had set jobs for a while now.

TNmommaof1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I live in TN and the cost of living is lower.  The job pay matches the cost of living.  It depends on where you go.  I grew up in NJ and there the cost of living is a lot higher!  Research before you move!

HotMommaStout
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Yeah It''s not necessarily cheaper. I used to leave by DC and believe me it wasn't cheap. Texas is usually fairly cheap( i know not the east coast), and so is Georgia in my experience. You will really have to do some research to find a great place with a reasonable cost of living.

hellenak
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Anywhere in MD is NOT cheap. Very expensive state. I live in Pittsburgh, its cheaper then MD but not really cheap either. We are looking to move to S.C or N.C within the next yr... the cost of living is way lower. But I have heard that the job market isnt the best. We'd only move there, bc my husband can transfer to a school he works at thats located there also. Would LOVE to live by the beach.

the only way to know about the jobs that are there..is to research. but you need to know what you have experience in to be able to do that. i'd find a job and a possible place, before i'd actually physically MOVE anywhere

LotusNight
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I live in charleston SC and there are a lot of lay-offs happening but at the same time we're still building and growing. Like we're getting a new airplaine production plant and a lot of hotels are going up. the cost of living here isn't too too bad if you dont mine like middle class or trailer living.

mommyjenn84
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM

No clue.. im a west coast girl. but good luck and heres a bump

JOEJULA
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I live in Texas and well every liscence plate here says California on it. That just goes to show you that Texas is cheap.

JMKristy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM

You have to make sure to look at the full picture... usually where cost of living is cheaper, the average wage is also less...

I have always lived on the west coast. We were born and raised in northern california. The specific area we were in was substantially cheaper to live than the majority of california. But, there was no work! Unless you wanted to commute at least an hour, you didn't make great wages. I now live in Las Vegas. My husband is in the same line of work he was in Northern California, and no joke, making 5 times more than he did there. Home prices aren't too bad here...

Moosegirl37
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM

haha ya i have been doing some research. I've got two years to save and plus if I don't have the amount I want saved in two years I am just gonna finish school out here. I am working towards my BA in Human Services so the good thing with that is everywhere needs social workers. I wanna wait till I get some money saved...and the baby is actually big enough to travel. Im just browsing as of now...but NC has been a spot I've loved forever. Who knows...but keep the advice coming guys. I am getting feed back from all over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)