Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nightmares or what??? PIOG

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

So for the last couple of nights my 13 month old has been waking up screaming like he's in pain and I've had to rock him back to sleep wrapped up in a blanket with him and his lovie... Normally he hates falling asleep in your arms he wants to be in bed, so this is odd. Is he in pain, or is he having nightmares? I wish I knew how to fix this for him since we are both losing so much sleep and I babysit a little girl from 7am to 5pm during the week at her house. So neither of us get much rest there either... I don't really know what kind of answers I'm looking for, I just don't know why he's not sleeping through the night anymore...

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HotMommaStout
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Earache maybe? Sometimes with earaches they are fine during the day, but miserable at night...and they don't always pull on their ears. It could be nightmares or maybe something in his room is scaring him when he wakes up in the middle of the night...like a shadow or maybe even a noise outside?

5peasinapod07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM

My 3 year old went through what sounds like the same thing, he would wake up screaming almost hyperventilating sweating and tears, I took him to the doc and they said its night terrors, they told me that it was normal (no matter how freaked out us moms get) they also told me that when he cries out in his sleep DO NOT wake him up, the doc said that the sudden awakening durring a night terror can cause sleep walking.  (that really freaked me out)  the doc also said that it usually starts when there has been a significant change in the childs life like a new baby, moving, parents split anything that is not what they know in their little world (for the life of me I could not figure out what triggered my sons) I kept a close eye on my son and he had his nightly for about a year and slowly grew out of his now he only has one every now and then.

saduncan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:18 AM

My daughter had done that for a while and after two nights of it, I figured out she had an ear infection.  Luckily she hadn't had it long and I kind of knew what to look for.  Or it may be nightmares.  DD has those sometimes too.  Or she's hungry.  lol  GL!

mysteriousdaze
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

My DS did that for about a month around that age. No earache, nothing. We believe he was having nightmares. They've stopped since and he's slept through the night ever since.

JJRsMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM

IDK, sorry!

BUMP

bellaamore
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Does he eat or drink anything with red dye in it? Seriously, check things you wouldn't even think so, like meds, drinks, formulas, snacks.

Red dye is known to cause issues lik ethis in kids, effecting their sleep.  It can cause seizures, night terrors, sleep walking, bed wetting, and generally not getting enough sleep, which leads to bad behavior during waking hours.

It was a big issue in many kids whose parents I have dealt with for nutritional analysis.

chazsmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:58 AM
My son did the same around that age al well. He would still be asleep but screaming his head off and when I picked him up he would fight me for a few seconds. I just rocked him and let him nurse until he was calm. It was a few times a week then just stopped. I figured it was nightmares but still checked his bed and his skin. I think it helps to add another calming factor in the bedtime routine like music or using the lavender baby wash in the bath.
One thing to check for in the bed is bed bugs which can be dangerous to children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Probbaly night terrors or nightmares.

JesusFreak3345
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Quoting 5peasinapod07:

My 3 year old went through what sounds like the same thing, he would wake up screaming almost hyperventilating sweating and tears, I took him to the doc and they said its night terrors, they told me that it was normal (no matter how freaked out us moms get) they also told me that when he cries out in his sleep DO NOT wake him up, the doc said that the sudden awakening durring a night terror can cause sleep walking.  (that really freaked me out)  the doc also said that it usually starts when there has been a significant change in the childs life like a new baby, moving, parents split anything that is not what they know in their little world (for the life of me I could not figure out what triggered my sons) I kept a close eye on my son and he had his nightly for about a year and slowly grew out of his now he only has one every now and then.

How do you comfort them without waking them up? Nothing drastic has changed here...

JesusFreak3345
by on May. 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)