Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so i was thinking i would rear face after she turned one edit with the one i have in red

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 59 Replies

ok my daughter leah is a little over 10.5 mnths old, and she is a lil bit smaller than most babies, she is about 17lbs,  i honestly dont think she will be 20lbs when she turns one, esp since she is about to start walken, and  in 2 mnths she has gain just under 1lb, i think im gonna reface her until she is about 18-20 mnths

anybody else with a small

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_024W400851110001P?vName=Baby+%26+Nursery&keyword=carseats&prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14aby

here is the carseat we have, I KNOW ALOT of u think they are junk but as i did post on page 3 we couldnt afford that expensive of a seat when we had to buy 5 carseats

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingmy4babies
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM

My 3 year old boy is only 26 pounds. I still rear face him since he is so tiny. My younger son is almost 18 months and still rear facing as well.

Kittlesdesigns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM

yup we have the same problem with my daughter. I kept her facing backwards up until her legs were too long because she is so little. She is 2 years old now and only 22 lbs. Don't worry your little girl will make it to 20lbs lol I thought the same thing! I didn't think I would ever get her out of a infant seat but she does great in her forward facing now. Keep her rear facing as long as possible. Its safer that way  :) 

And I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with a petite lil girl!  :D

HotMommaStout
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

MY oldest an d youngest son's were 17 & 16 lbs respectively at their one year check ups.  I kept them rear facing until they were at least 20 lbs, but they are all forward facing now. My oldest is 39 lbs @ 5, mY middle is 37 lbs at 4 & the youngest is like 31 lbs (he turns 3 on saturday.

megs2boys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Yes my 9 month old is special needs and just hit 14 pounds after a gtube was placed (he stayed at 12 pounds for 6 months). We bought him the Myride 65 so we could keep him rearfacing to 40 pounds. At this rate he'll be like 6!! But thats ok with me!!

momma_lizzie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

i was just informed two weeks ago at my lil ones dr. appt that you need to rear face until 2 years old now

Army_Wife41
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

My son hit 20 pounds at about 7 months. Then he kind of tappered off, and is not 25 pounds at 13 months. He is still rear facing. I would definitely keep your LO RF for a while. There is no real reason to turn her around. I mean...the seat is already in RF....and RF is safer....why bother going through the hassle of re-installing it FF? lol. Funny how I think of things, isn't it? :-P

Good luck mama!

laciD
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Do it!!! Its the best thing you can do for her safety wise. My youngest is 2.5 31lbs and still rear facing. My 4 year old will be rear facing when his new seat arrives. They will both be able to rear face until 45lbs!!!  If you have any doubts about rear facing go to youtube and watch the rear and front facing crash test videos... I want to rear face as long as possible after watching that.

Extended breastfeeding (breast is best anyone that tells you differently is 100% wrong)... no formula for my little guys, Extended rear facing and harnessing.. If you are not rear facing to the MAX you are not doing everything you can to protect your child), homeschooling, mommy to 2 wonderful little boys!!!

JMKristy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

my youngest was not 20 lbs when he turned one either. he rear faced until about 2 1/2 yrs. old.

butterflyblu
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM

That's great your doctor advocates RF, however it's not the law yet.  Hopefully that will change soon.  The AAP does recommend RF until minimum 2 yrs or 30 lbs but by law it's still 1 yr AND 20 lbs. 

OP, if she isn't 20 lbs at 1 yr, by LAW you cannot turn her FF anyway.  She must meet both requirements of 1 yr of age and 20 lbs.  You might want to consider RF until the limits of the convertible seat.  My older son who wasn't a small baby (he was about 23 1/2 lbs at 12 months) RF in an Evenflo Triumph Advance until he was 26 months old.  He actually outgrew the seat in height, not weight.  He's 2 1/2 and still not 35 lbs. 

Quoting momma_lizzie:

i was just informed two weeks ago at my lil ones dr. appt that you need to rear face until 2 years old now

Ariannasmommy23
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

MY DAUGHTER JUST TURNED 2 IN APRIL AND SHE IS STILL WEIGHING AT 21 LBS. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE TRYING EVERYTHING.. BUT SHE JUST DOENST WNAT TO EAT.. i THINK WE ARE GOING TO START GIVING HER SOME PEDIASURE.. i HEARD THAT, THAT MIGHT HELP..... AND THE DOCTOR TOL DME TO CONTINUE TO GIVE HER WHOLE MILK FOR A FEW MONTHS.. WE ARE GETTING HER WEIGHT CHECKED AGAIN ON jUNE 28 CAUSE MY SON HAS A DOC APPOINTMENT THEN AND THE DOC SAID SHE WOULD CHECK MY DAUGHTERS WEIGHT WHEN WE CAME IN..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)